Lowering ceiling by 100mm?

Just to add my bit...

If you lower the ceiling in that one room, I feel that that room will then look and feel noticably weird/different (or low) compared to the other rooms on that floor.

Sfk

I got her to measure the ceilings tonight and they are 2.6 so pretty high and I reckon we would do the same in all 3 bedrooms.

I’m going to do 1 room and see how it looks/feels (y)

Sponsored Links
Sounds good.
Might also make it easier and cheaper to heat.
Will you fill space with loft roll to slightly dampen noise and increase insulation?

Sounds good.
Might also make it easier and cheaper to heat.
Will you fill space with loft roll to slightly dampen noise and increase insulation?

Yes, plenty of insulation. I was going to line a party wall in the dining room with sound insulation too, probably Rockwool RWA45

Seems to me that sound insulation is a doomed trap. Inverse square law applies. It does work. But however much you spend it is never 'quite' good enough. And because you have fitted it you cannot compare before and after, or with and without.

Keeping that in mind, I have used Rockwool RWA45, and am happy with it and def recommend it. But like all sound proofing never a 100pc fix. Afterwards wished I had spent a little/lot more money and instead of using normal plaster board, used Sound Board or even Fire board as I had that avalible and to hand, to further increase density of wall.

And if I had done that I am sure I would have wished I used staggered studwork. And the resilient bars. Etc

But no idea (or way of telling) if this would have made a marked difference.

On a quiet morning can still hear the toilet in use. :)
Sfk

Sponsored Links
Seems to me that sound insulation is a doomed trap. Inverse square law applies. It does work. But however much you spend it is never 'quite' good enough. And because you have fitted it you cannot compare before and after, or with and without.

Keeping that in mind, I have used Rockwool RWA45, and am happy with it and def recommend it. But like all sound proofing never a 100pc fix. Afterwards wished I had spent a little/lot more money and instead of using normal plaster board, used Sound Board or even Fire board as I had that avalible and to hand, to further increase density of wall.

And if I had done that I am sure I would have wished I used staggered studwork. And the resilient bars. Etc

But no idea (or way of telling) if this would have made a marked difference.

On a quiet morning can still hear the toilet in use. :)
Sfk

We knocked a wall down on Sunday and sat for a bit after, admiring it. We could hear the neighbours moving around and taking, but, the house is fully empty of furniture, all the doors are off and half of the plaster.

For the price of 2 packs of RWA45 and some I think it will help. I can imagine she will do a bit of entertaining once she moves in so hopefully it will work both ways.

From my zero base knowledge of doing one wall using RWA45 in wall to neighbors, on a budget.

I would next time also : have small gap between studs and neighbours wall (ie studwork not attached to wall) and use higher density plasterboard or double up plasterboard.

Just to add my bit...

If you lower the ceiling in that one room, I feel that that room will then look and feel noticably weird/different (or low) compared to the other rooms on that floor.

Sfk
120mm lower won't make a blind bit of difference visually. I'd say 1/10'000 people would probably blink twice.

It's a metal framed system. Simple and cheap. Why nobody else has mentioned it is quite strange.

I just looked at that but not sure I understand how I would lower it 100mm. Would I have to make a full frame bolted in lower down? I don’t really like the idea of that.

I just looked at that but not sure I understand how I would lower it 100mm. Would I have to make a full frame bolted in lower down? I don’t really like the idea of that.
Stick with your original plan - simple, cheap, zero fuss as everything is fitted as separates - essential when you are lugging stuff upstairs.

100mm insulated boards would be an absolute b'stard. Forget that idea, especially if (like all pre-insulated boards) they have a natural curve in them. :(

P.S.

If you set out your 100mm battens across the existing, you are then free to set out your own spacings. I'd set mine at 450mm centres and use the more manageable 900mm x 1800mm boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back