Lowering bathroom ceiling.

adm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking into having a new bathroom overhaul and i am going to lower the ceiling and having it plasterboarded and skimmed, i am going to do the bulk of lowering the ceiling work and then just get a plasterer to skim it over. What i would like advice on is am i planning this correctly. ?? Bathroom size is 3.7m long x 2m wide.

Fixing 63 x 38 cls all round bathroom into solid walls,

Using 63 x 38 cls cross beams skew screwed into wall plates spaced at 450mm centres to suit 1800 x 900 x 12.5mm plasterboard i am going to use.

63 x 38 cls strengthening beam central to half the 2m span,

63 x 38 cls noggings where necessary to correspond with board edges.

Two last things :-

Square edged plaster board or tapered edge. ?

Is it best to install plaster board with long edge parallel with cross beams or or long edge at 90 degrees to cross beams.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
personally i’d use 89mm cls for more rigidity.
square edge boards ,with the long edge opposing the beams. set your timbers out so you can use full boards.

Personally if I had a laser (I do) I'd put a metal perimeter track around the walls and do the lot in metal stud (mains supported by angle bracket with top hat section clipped to the mains). Selco sell the lot in smaller quantities. The MF is a lot lighter to work with and easy to cut with tin snips - but it does require a laser

Sorry, late reply!
But as it's a bathroom, have you considered a vapour barrier?
Are you removing the old ceiling, or is it going to remain above your new one?
If so, some sort of ventilation of the void may be required?

Sponsored Links
Surely if the new ceiling is properly sealed and the bathroom is adequately ventilated (i.e. extracted) that won't be necessary as no moisture should enter the new ceiling void. That is fairly normal practice

May not be needed, but we don't know the build up above the ceiling.
Building control insisted on foil-backed plasterboard for a vapour control layer when I did something similar recently!
...and are there going to be any spotlights fitted? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back