depth of door lining in stud wall

azc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am building a stud wall, and in there I will be putting in one of those fairly standard beech finish office doors (the wall is downstairs in my office!). I haven't seen pre-made door linings for those on sale, so I would have thought that I need to make my own. That doesn't bother me, but I have some questions about measurements:

I am happy with the wall building process - I am going to use 38*63 CLS for the studwork, and on top of that I will use 9.5mm thick plasterboard. This means that the total wall thickness will be 63 + (2x 9.5) = 82mm thick.

If I make the door lining out of the same sized CLS as the wall, it is not going to sit flush with the finished wall opening - it will be 9.5mm too "shallow" on the inside and outside of the doorway (because of the additional thickness from the plasterboard), and therefore I won't be able to nail architrave flat onto it.

The next size up of CLS (that I could make the lining out of) is 38 x 89mm, so that means that my lining would be 2.5mm thicker on either side of the opening, and then there would be a gap behind the architrave where it is supposed to meet the plasterboard.

Am I missing something here, or do I need to use 38 x 89 CLS for the lining, and rip 7-ish mm off there so that it sits flush to the plasterboard?

I have just worked out that if I use 12.5mm thick plasterboard, then that is 88mm thickness in total, which works fine for a 38 x 89mm CLS casing, but what if I am using 9.5mm thick?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this!

Sponsored Links
No.

What you need to use is the wider casing and a tried and tested product called thistle board finish.

Door linings should not be made out of cls timber anyway. You need door linings to suit the width of the studwork+ plasterboard (ie 89 mm at least)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back