LP522 - is it possible to keep it and add a remotely-programmable room thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Sorry if this has been asked before - I went thru the FAQs and other thtreads didn't find it.
I have an old Drayton LP522 which works fine. There is a mechanical wired room thermostat.
I'm away a lot so would like to be able to adjust the thermostat remotely, but would be happy to keep the LP522 since there appears to be nothing wrong with it. Does anyone know if there are room thermostats I could add which wouldn't need the still-working Drayton to be replaced? E.g. a wired-to-the-controller thermostat but which connects to wifi so it can be adjusted by an app from wherever I happen to be? Thanks for any guidance you have.

Sponsored Links
I assume you are asking this for simplicity of installation, it's a bit of a fudge to leave the LP522 in place, but you could. The simplest way would be to leave the heating set to be permanently 'on' at the LP522 and replace the old mechanical thermostat with a WiFi controlled 'wired' smart thermostat.

Which model you choose will depend upon how the old thermostat is wired. Not all room thermostats have a neutral connection and just have a live and a switched live. If yours doesn't have a neutral, you would require a battery operated replacement. Such as the Tado wired thermostat. The two switching wires from the existing thermostat simply connect to the NO and COM terminals and that's it, wiring done. If you do have a neutral present at the thermostat you have the option of a battery or mains powered thermostat.

The Drayton LP522 as well as heating control includes another channel for control of hot water heating. So that would still continue to work as it does now.

Ideally the LP522 would be replaced with a receiver and wireless smart thermostat, then you would also be able to control the hot water heating via wifi. This would involve more work and a small wiring mod to facilitate the removal of the old thermostat.

you can fit anyone you want but will need to set the LP522 to costantly on and the wifi thermostat will over ride it, a bit stupid though when a nest or hive duel channel would replace everything

Sponsored Links
Reviving this thread...
I have the LP522 programmer in the hall and a separate wired thermostat in the living room. The hot water is a well insulated cylinder (system boiler?) so we just leave it set to be on constantly.

Since I only care about controlling the heating, does it make sense to simply replace the wired thermostat with a "Nest E" and leave the LP522 in place configured to have water and heating constantly on?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Yes, Nest E, or any other thermostat, Ben it 2 wire or 3 wire. Do you need to replace the thermostat?

Thanks @CBW . I don't need to replace my thermostat (everything currently works ok) I just want control from my phone.
I also just want a simple installation.

I've also since realised that I was looking at the US version which is quite different. For the UK model, it's actually the heat link e that I would have to install to the wall and have the thermostat is actually a portable thing

The 3rd gen nest looks like a hassle to install. I'd have to find a way to get 12V to where I want the thermostat. Then if I replace the LP522 programmer with the heat link, I would probably make a mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back