LPG Bottles - where are they allowed to be? What regs govern placement etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've got a new dual fuel cooker coming next week and we opted for the delivery and installation. Had a chat earlier with the installers and they said the gas bottle has to be 2 metres away from any combustibles. There are windows, downpipes, waste water pipes etc along the whole run of wall outside the kitchen meaning that to comply the gas bottle would need to be miles away! OK, not miles, but you know what I mean.

So I looked into it on line but I've struggled to find anything regarding regs and gas bottle placement. I wondered if anywhere here could explain or point me in the right direction please?

In the past I've seen gas bottles in all kinds of places, and quite often hidden behind trellis and those kinds of things you buy to hide your wheelie bins. If it is a reg, I'm guessing it is one that is most often ignored!

BTW, I only use small 19kg bottles.

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Your gas installers should know the regs if they are lpg qualified, so just whatever they say really.
Ask them the best position for the gas bottle and perhaps also try a different installer for advice.
Might be worth considering opting for a remote position for gas bottle and have it all enclosed to hide it

Thanks for the speedy replies :)

Your gas installers should know the regs if they are lpg qualified, so just whatever they say really.
Ask them the best position for the gas bottle and perhaps also try a different installer for advice.
Might be worth considering opting for a remote position for gas bottle and have it all enclosed to hide it

I guess that's the crux of the problem, they have told me and it doesn't sound right to me. not that I know much though, so I need to look into it further to verify what they've said and also to determine whether it's regs or their own internal policy that they are referring to. Contacting another installer is a good idea. But the remote position - if their stipulations are to be followed - is going to be very tough. And it's not about aesthetics. It's more a case that the bottle would have to be a long way away. I'll measure up n a bit, but I would guess maybe 15 metres+. And sure a 15m length hose would be more dangerous than the proximity of a down pipe?!?

Cheers for those. No mention of down pipes, plastic pipes etc in then that I can see though. However, there are things I have learnt although ironically these are things that the installer HASN'T specified!!! Namely:

1. There must be a fire extinguisher in proximity
2. There is a minimum distance requirement from the building itself unless a fire wall is present.
3. "There should be no openings into buildings, cellars or pits within 2m of an LPG storage area."

RE: 2. Sorry if it's a silly question but does an external cavity wall count as a fire wall? If so, is it fine to have the bottle up against the wall of the house because the wall is classed as a fire wall? They didn't mention anything about that...

RE: 3. Does ANY opening count? Does a small opening window count?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Because LPG is heavier than air any gas from leaks will tend accumulate at the lowest point. Hence ventilation of a building where gas bottles are kept should include vents at floor level to allow gas to leave the building. The floor of the building should be above ground level to allow gas to flow away from the building and disperse

but does an external cavity wall count as a fire wall?
Does ANY opening count? Does a small opening window count?

My understanding is that an external cavity wall would be a fire wall.

In regard to leaking gas an air brick close to the leak could allow gas to enter and accumulate in the space under the floor boards.

Any window that is open ( or not fire resistant ) could allow fire from inside to reach the cylinders ( or flames from a leaking cylinder to enter the building )

A useful source of information and advice specific to your situation would be the Fire Prevention Officer at your local Fire Brigade

Remotely situated gas bottles can be hard piped, below ground or above if done correctly.
But need to check what is possible with LPG gas installer. Pipe size would need to be 15mm I would think.

Had a chat earlier with the installers and they said the gas bottle has to be 2 metres away from any combustibles. There are windows, downpipes, waste water pipes etc along the whole run of wall outside the kitchen meaning that to comply the gas bottle would need to be miles away!

You can keep a gas bottle next to another gas bottle, and that's a lot more inflammable than any window, downpipe, waste pipe. :)

my bottles are hard up against the wall next to my kitchen window, with bushes and trellis either sides. installer put them there so he cant have seen an issue?!?!

I suspect you'll find that your installer is working to a guideline rather than a reg when he says 2m from combustibles.

As far as i'm aware, there are no regs regarding the safe positioning of lpg bottles. However, many of the gas suppliers will have their own guidelines which would matter if they were coming to fill up a bulk tank as they often won't fill them if the tank is not installed in a manner which complies with their guidelines.

To be fair to the installers, LPG is not that safe compared with natural gas, and if I was having it installed I'd put it as far from the house as reasonable. You can see here, obviously an extreme example with a very large tank compared with yours, but even air bricks and eaves ventilation can cause a risk to the occupants when the tank is close.
https://www.csb.gov/little-general-store-propane-explosion/

Heck, after watching the video on the above linked case - I'd opt for a minimum distance of 500m... looks nasty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back