Installing a pipe for an LPG hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just acquired a range cooker with gas hob for the kitchen that isn't even boarded out yet. We've no natural gas but have checked with supplier who can provide an LPG conversion kit consisting of a new hose and jets. I'll obviously get someone with the relevant qualifications to connect and test the hob, but I want to get the supply pipe in place ready for connection as I'll be building the kitchen cabinets long before the cooker is installed.

My initial plan is to run a single pipe roughly 2m to the the nearest outside wall where the bottle/bottles will be sited.

Is there a minimum safe distance for siting propane bottles? Or safe distances from doors and windows?

The pipe will be surface mounted and will run through the backs of two cupboards.

Should I use copper or steel pipe?

Is there a standard height for installing the supply pipe work, given that the cooker is 900mm high and the connection for the flexible hose is roughly 500mm from the floor pointing vertically downwards.

Does the pipe need to be earth bonded? If so can I just take an earth from the nearest circuit, or should I fit a separate cable from the consumer box?

Is it possible to just fit one bottle? Using two seems to be standard, are both bottles connected simultaneously, or is there some kind of valve involved?

Do the bottles need to be covered? I was thinking of making a sort of mini shed for them.

All I really want to do is make the relevant holes through the wall and cabinets, and provide fixing for the relevant clips. But it would be handy to know that I've done it at a suitable height, made provision for earth bonding etc. and be a bit more knowledgable about what's involved.

Sponsored Links
The best way is to get a registered gas installer in to advise on cylinder positions etc. They would probably be able to do most of the work before the kitchen is fitted.

The best way is to get a registered gas installer in to advise on cylinder positions etc. They would probably be able to do most of the work before the kitchen is fitted.

Thank you, but I was trying to avoid two call outs by doing all of the messy work first.

trying to avoid two call outs
Not much chance of that. Even if the guy did it all in one hit, he'd probably do it in two. Getting materials, etc...
First visit, he can tell you what the (many) regs mean for your installation, and what you could do to make it easier.
You'd possibly want a "changeover set" but it's not mandatory. You should be able to google it.

Sponsored Links
Remind him that the bypasses will be likely to need adjusting as well as changing the jets!

Remind him that the bypasses will be likely to need adjusting as well as changing the jets!

Thank you, it's actually mentioned in the cooker manual! I was going to print a copy of the instructions to give the 'qualified person', but thought it might be a bit condescending.

Thank you, it's actually mentioned in the cooker manual! I was going to print a copy of the instructions to give the 'qualified person', but thought it might be a bit condescending.

Well it can't be fitted without the instructions. I presume this is a 2nd hand cooker?

I did it the other way round!

Bought a nearly new LPG range cooker with cylinders and auto changeover and converted it back for Nat Gas.

Is starting from scratch a useful tip might be to have just one 47 kG cylinder and make the second one a small one!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back