Running LPG pipework?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Can anyone point me to specs/regs for running underground or over ground pipe for a domestic LPG installation? I have the Calor guidelines on siting of the cylinders but cant find anything on running supplies.

Having a duel fuel cooker installed with a bottle gas setup (Propane), but the bottle location is 27m from the wall the cooker is on.

Ill be digging the trench or clipping the pipe along the run to save a good bit of labour then have everything installed by someone registered.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Whenever I bury pipes someone else always does the prep work, digging, filling trench etc. A site visit is necessary to give advice on the best route. If you consult your installer, he should provide this service, I do. However I also insist on doing all the actual pipe work myself.

Thanks for the replies,

Sorry should have clarified that id be doing the trenching etc but would leave the pipe run to the fitter if underground.
Over ground however i didnt think there would be an issue with a new roll of pipe, no connections and visible over its full length so any faults would be easily seen/tested when connections are made.

What im trying to find out is whats required for the pipe work so i can see if the location where i would like the cylinders is viable.
eg if under ground, what depth, distance from footings, is it ducted? or max/min height above ground, clearance from doorways etc.

Having this info would allow me to see whats invloved with putting the cylinders in different locations and not end up with them somewhere the fitter wants them because its handy to install.

Eg cylinders could be sited just about within regs (2.1m from un-trapped drain) on an external wall giving a 1m pipe run but we would prefer them some where else not visible from the road or right beside the house which puts the pipe run about 25m (+5m if over gound).

Sponsored Links
Thats what my plumbers merchant recommended?
25m Coil of yellow plastic coated copper pipe comes in 8-15mm?

If bigger is required then its lengths pipe that need joined and of course i wouldnt expect someone to sign this off.

As said its the spec i need for running pipe to see whats viable, the installer will be specifing whatever they see fit to suit the cylinder location and the appliance. But if they are following the same spec it should be along the lines of what i was thinking and allow me to see whats realistic instead of wasting the installers time pricing for multiple locations.

#Edit
Info obtained, Irish regs but id assume for estimating what i need its close enough,
http://www.calorgas.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Calor-Installation-Manual-FINAL.pdf

Depths are 375mm below domestic ground, 25mm if embedded in concrete.

Table states that 15mm copper upto an equivilent length of 15m will flow 0.45m³/h (enough for 11.5Kw, hob rating). Diversity would drop the requirement to 0.31m³/h and allow a 24m run.

Therefore im into joining pipes (which is left to the installer) for anything over an equivilent length of 15m (Say 10m straight line to allow for risers and bends) using 15mm pipe if i want to use all my burners at once.

Anything wrong with this assumption?

Assuming that the regulations of a different country are the same as ours isn't really sensible, although their pipe sizing still applies.

If you're certain that your proposed cylinder location is acceptable (to the UK regs, not the Irish/Bulgarian/Russian/Swedish/whatever regs) then I'm sure it will be possible to find a route from there to your cooker.

Given what you've said so far, and using your calculations which I have not checked for accuracy, it sounds like at least part of your run needs to be in 22mm / ¾" pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back