Gas BBQ - Is this a ridiculous idea ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Gas BBQ that runs on 10kg Propane tanks with a quick release 'Gaslight' Connector

My home is run on 47kg LPG tanks up the back of the garden.

Getting a refill for the 10kg Propane tank costs about the same as the cost of refilling one of my 47kg bottles, which stings a bit.

Would a Propane BBQ run from domestic LPG ?

With the right connectors, etc., would it be possible to fill up my empty BBQ bottle using a full LPG bottle ? Are these connectors, or pipe assemblies commercially available ? I do have access to Brass and a lathe through work, so if they are not commercially available then can I get drawings anywhere ?

If this is a ridiculous idea, please just tell me now and I'll put it far from my mind and just go out and pay for a refill.

Sponsored Links
As far as I'm aware propane is propane, so if you can connect your bbq to your big cylinders it would work perfectly fine. Filling smaller cylinders from a large one is theoretically possible, but LPG is a liquid and would need pumped between the cylinders - it wouldn't 'flow' from one to the other just be opening both valves.

Sponsored Links
no you cant do it, its a lot more complicated than that, nothing to stop you altering the BBQ to accommodate a larger cylinder though.

I have a Gas BBQ that runs on 10kg Propane tanks with a quick release 'Gaslight' Connector

My home is run on 47kg LPG tanks up the back of the garden.

Just a thought, you say your bbq burns propane - usually they burn butane (the blue Calor cylinders rather than orange). Propane burns hotter than butane so make sure you have your gas types correct or you might burn out the burners on the bbq. I remember this from my childhood when my Dad connected a caravan cooker to the cylinder he was using his roofing gas torch from (he knew it burned hotter and used caution accordingly, he didn't knacker the burners).

Just a thought, you say your bbq burns propane - usually they burn butane (the blue Calor cylinders rather than orange). Propane burns hotter than butane so make sure you have your gas types correct or you might burn out the burners on the bbq. I remember this from my childhood when my Dad connected a caravan cooker to the cylinder he was using his roofing gas torch from (he knew it burned hotter and used caution accordingly, he didn't knacker the burners).

To be honest, that hadn't actually occurred to me, but I just went and double-checked and it is Propane. One of these - https://www.albiongas.co.uk/product/10kg-gaslight/

So, LPG is Propane, right ?

LPG = Liquified Petroleum Gas

Orange cylinders are for Propane.

"CampingGaz" is currently a mixture of Butane and Propane.

Dont fek with LPG would be my advice...having seen a 47kg propane bottle go bang

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back