Propane Bottles Fueling Combi Boiler

Yes the 12kW unit would do it given your figures.

There might be the need to have an extra electric fire
or something just for very cold weather. But
otherwise fine.

Job done.

Sponsored Links
http://www.windhager.co.uk/products/index/view/categoryID/1/productsID/7

Howsabout this?

You may have to build a boiler room for most biomass boilers but it would be far better than having to hump heavy propane bottles up your garden path in the depth of Winter...

I've seen these at around 3.5K which would qualify for a grant too. Given my heat requirements above, which size would I need?

http://www.euroheat.co.uk/Stoves-and-Boilers/753/Rika/Rika-Pico-Wood-Pellet-Stove.html

Thanks.

47kg bottle is £90 approx at the moment and rising :!: a bulk tank surface/underground would be my preference,upgrade the insulation would be the first step.LPG engineers are easy to find good ones are rarer.Air source would be favorite for ltd space but costs and reliability may be issues.
A solid fuel wraparound back boiler or stove with boiler should be high on your list many boilers around me are fast approaching 40/50 year old and still running sweet.

Sponsored Links
47kg bottle is £90 approx at the moment and rising :!:
Er no they're not. Maybe as a one off purchase but for regular supply sub £50 is more appropriate.

that is a regular order and has been for the last ten years,not all of us get the southern prices,it costs me £45CASH [mates rates]at the calor depot to exchange 47kg

mum lives in a 1 bed static park home, shes on a fairly new combi boiler with 4x 47kg bottles, with a auto switch over. only has heating on a bear minimum, short showers and a gas hob.

she pays £45 per bottle, for this they deliver, disconnect the old bottle and connect the new bottle.

she gets through about 2 -3 bottles in 5 weeks in the winter, so in the 6 mths shes been there shes got through about £400 of gas bottles.

if ive got those figures right and prob havent!

xr4x4 said:
she pays £45 per bottle, for this they deliver, disconnect the old bottle and connect the new bottle

That's cheap! :eek: :eek: :eek: The last one we bought for our caravan in South West Scotland cost us £67. It too was delivered and fitted.

I've seen these at around 3.5K which would qualify for a grant too. Given my heat requirements above, which size would I need?

http://www.euroheat.co.uk/Stoves-and-Boilers/753/Rika/Rika-Pico-Wood-Pellet-Stove.html

Thanks.

That's a nice little stove but it seems that they only do one output of 9kW which I feel is a little small, a 12kW would be a better size bearing in mind that your house requirements are around 8kW and you will need to heat a water cylinder too..... The advantage of Biomass over air source is that the radiators can be smaller with biomass than they would with Air Source as the water from air source is nowhere near as hot.... In Winter, also, the output of the Air Source will reduce as the ambient temperature reduces....Also beware of unbranded Air Source (Chinese) equipment as spares would be nigh on impossible to find.

Thanks.

That's a nice little stove but it seems that they only do one output of 9kW which I feel is a little small, a 12kW would be a better size bearing in mind that your house requirements are around 8kW and you will need to heat a water cylinder too..... The advantage of Biomass over air source is that the radiators can be smaller with biomass than they would with Air Source as the water from air source is nowhere near as hot.... In Winter, also, the output of the Air Source will reduce as the ambient temperature reduces....Also beware of unbranded Air Source (Chinese) equipment as spares would be nigh on impossible to find.

I have to admit I'm leaning more toward wood pellet stoves now. There is this one by MCZ

http://www.enerfina.com/products/details/152/20

12.5KW, good size built-in store too.

Could this fill my current immersion tank for hot water?

The only thing I'm worried about is the flue. Does it need to go right up to the roof line or can it poke out just above head height like a gas boiler?

Thanks

Hmmm... I'm not familliar with that make but it certainly has the output.... I would want to know what it would modulate it's output down to since once your home has warmed up the boiler will need to reduce its output unless it is very cold outside, the page that you have linked to does not give this information..... That's the nice thing with pellets, they can change their outputs just like a gas boiler can. The Rika and the Windhager both have a pellet store inside them so you can pour in a bag of pellets and they will self feed..... I know for a fact that the Windhager will self load itself from an external bulk tank but that is extra.... I would expect that if you were to badger your local supplier you could get a Windhager for not much more than the Rika..... Full retail is about 7k nowhere near the 21k pricetag that you have found...... No one pays the full retail..... Baxi do the exact same fire but the back up from Baxi, I'm told is poor and Windhager won't want to know.

Cheapest installation combination would probably be combi with a 4x 47 change over set up and a wood burning stove.

You can get a twin wall flue set up if you haven't got a class one flue.

I'd be very careful of buying a air source heat pump off of ebay !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back