Two boilers or one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to make savings on gas consumption....advice requested please.

I live in Brittany in a farm house with an adjacent cottage which is ocupied by a family member. Both houses are heated by propane fueled boilers, the large house by a 34Kw floor standing unit with integral hot water tank and the smaller cottage by a 24 Kw wall mounted combi.

The 34 Kw unit is running only two rads one of about 2.5Kw and another of 750w plus the hot water. The 24Kw combi is running 3 rads of about 4.5Kw total plus hot water.

My question is ... would it more economical to remove the the smaller combi and run both houses off the large 34Kw unit in the main farm house. Plumbing and insulation should not be an issue as the two boilers are currently only 6m apart.

Common sense tells it should be cheaper to run one large apliance at say 3/4 load than two which are just ticking over.

I curently consume about 2 tonnes of propane per year but have no idea wether this is good or bad ... I do know however that it is expensive to run ... £3000 per year!

I would welcome any advice....thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back