What size boiler please?

Sponsored Links
30kW for heating the cylinder is unnecessary.

A 300 litre cylinder fed from a 30kW boiler (assuming the cylinder coil is up to the job) will heat up from 15C to 60C in 32 minutes. However cylinder thermostats have a hysteresis of about 10C so reheating from 50C to 60C would only take 7 minutes. A 25kW boiler would take 38(9) minutes; a 20KW boiler - 48(11) minutes. It's up to you how quickly you want the cylinder to reheat.

Remember that the recommended temperature of a bath/shower is about 40C, so it's not essential that the cylinder is back up to 60C before another person can use the bath/shower. They will just need less cold water to obtain a safe temperature.

Thanks for the additional replies. I have got a third opinion and they have also suggested a 37 kW system boiler (the same as the first person who I mistakenly said wanted to fit a 35 kW boiler) which he said will be more than sufficient for heating and to heat the tank. Does anybody disagree with this? I guess the difference between 37 kW and anything bigger is only about reheat time of the tank on the coldest of days, but a small investment now might be better than asking people to wait as there is no hot water left. Or I might find that the house is freezing in the winter and needs lots of new radiators (but at 15 years old I find this quite a low probability).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back