One boiler...two houses...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a problem and I'm not sure which way to go forward.

Two cottages, semi detached, owned by the same person, used as staff houses.

Cottage one, 3 bed, one bathroom with electric shower, no bath, 7 rads. Very old trianco oil heat only boiler, working fine, thumbs up from engineer on last service. Hot water cylinder used for kitchen/bathroom sink only.

Cottage two, 3 bed, one bathroom with mixer tap shower, bath, 9 rads. 2 year old tranico oil combi, non condensing (don't ask). Boiler has always been a problem since it was installed incorrectly and since having 3 engineers work on it, can't get it running for any length of time correctly.

Its not working correctly again, 3 months after last service (again), last engineer said it's scrap and needs binning, whole system has been piped in 15 mm.

Owner has had enough and wants it sorted.

He was thinking best way to sort is to bin both boilers and fit one new to run both cottages and hot water.

Whats the best way to do this, combi? Would below boiler run two showers possibly at a later date? Warm flow any good?

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalo...lity_Condensing_Combi_Oil_Boiler_15_21kW.html

I can work out total load for the rads.

I know I am looking at joining the two cottages together, two zone valves, stats etc. I will be installing the pipe work and getting a oil engineer to commission new boiler.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Oh...forgot to say, can't put a new boiler in location of second boiler as the flue is two close to windows, which is creating a lot of problems and is just plain wrong.

There's nowhere else to put the boiler easily on the second cottage, hence putting it where the first one is.

Fit an External oil boiler using Hot Water Cyl for HW a Combi will struggle to supply enough Hot water and by the way ANY oil boiler is better than a Wetflow!! (Even a Trianco!!) Grant make a supurb outdoor boiler ;)

Hmm ok, I was looking to get a grant if I could.

Only reason I mentioned combi, was because the current combi is supplying a very good shower through the mixer tap shower.

Also piping would be easier, as the second house has had the hot water cylinder removed.

Also the hot water cylinder would need a cold water tank and lots of other small annoying problems.

Sponsored Links
Combi boilers take a real beating. Every turn of the hot tap and it's time to fire up the burner.

However oil boilers are some of the most reliable bits of kit. The burners
are usually rock solid and very reliable with little to go wrong. The heat exchangers weigh a tonne and last years and years. More so since you have a non-condensing unit.

I suggest try a different boiler engineer until you find someone who knows
what they are doing. Check the oftec website for oftec engineers.

I fail to see what could possibly be wrong with the boiler after only 2 years . Did he say why it was scrap?

It would be possible to use the Trianco just as a central heating unit
and install a hot water tank firstly with electric immersion until
the trianco is proved reliable.

The fumes from the boiler are entering the house through the windows and setting the carbon monoxide alarm off.

The boiler has been serviced about 3 times in the last year, every time a new nozzle, emissions checked, adjusted, left running fine. 3 months later same happens again, locks out, starts smelling. Process repeats.

Now it's got to the point it's putting the occupants of the house at risk, serious problem and something needs to be done.

As they have spent hundreds of pounds on repairs.

I have posted before on this problem.

The fumes from the boiler are entering the house through the windows and setting the carbon monoxide alarm off.

The boiler has been serviced about 3 times in the last year, every time a new nozzle, emissions checked, adjusted, left running fine. 3 months later same happens again, locks out, starts smelling. Process repeats.

Now it's got to the point it's putting the occupants of the house at risk, serious problem and something needs to be done.

As they have spent hundreds of pounds on repairs.

I have posted before on this problem.

So the boiler isn't scrap.
Something if obviously going out. I would suggest a faulty pump as the most likely culprit. The only elements that could affect the burn would be the motor or the pump. Or possibly contaminated fuel if the tank is
old and rusty.
If fumes from the boiler are entering the house then this is happening
when the boiler is running correctly. The flue is either badly positioned or needs adjusting. Alternatively moving the boiler to a different position.

Tank serves next door, so can't be that.

The boiler or flue can't be moved, as there's nowhere for it to go.

Engineer said the 15mm was too restrictive and was causing too much heat in the boiler....along with other things.

It's knackered and they aren't going to spend any more money on it.

Back to my original question....

Tank serves next door, so can't be that.

The boiler or flue can't be moved, as there's nowhere for it to go.

Engineer said the 15mm was too restrictive and was causing too much heat in the boiler....along with other things.

It's knackered and they aren't going to spend any more money on it.

Back to my original question....

15mm too restrictive.
Utter rubbish. The boiler is controlled by a thermostat. Too much heat
in the boiler what nonsense. Once the boiler gets to temperature it cuts out. Definitely get a different engineer.

Despite what DC says TRIANCO boilers ARE Carp!! they are well known for poor combustion and fumes if the heating system is 15mm then I would agree that this is undersized and may be causing overheat when in heating mode this is clearly a very poorly installed system, that will only be improved by a complete re-fit which is proposed! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back