Oil Combi Boiler - What size should I get?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate there may not be a precise answer to this, but so I have an idea before I speak with various heating engineers;

We have 7 rads in a 3 bed cottage - the building is double glazed & Celotex'd throughout. Also one bathroom and a kitchen sink. All the rads are cast iron but none of them are huge (say 3ft by 4ft each).

We're going the combi route and are considering a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Heatslave 18/25, which I gather has a minimum output of 18KW and maximum of 25. Does the panel think this model would be sufficient? ;) It seems to be in the middle of Worcester's oil (combi) condensing range.

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/products/oil-boilers/greenstar-heatslave-1825

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Sponsored Links
You must really hate the poor ba$$t@rd who will have to repair it!

Be nice to him and fit a Grant.

Rrrrrright. OK. Ummm, could you suggest a Grant model that will be sufficient for the cottage / number of rads as described?

Thanks.

try this

and as the fookwit says, do us all a flavour and dont get a berty wooster. lifes too short.

Sponsored Links
I'd go for a Grant vortex combi 21kw. It'll be around £1800 to buy. Good boilers, easy to fit, easy to work on, reliable.

Is an oil fired combi the way to go if you presumably don't have gas
Are they not rather slower at providing hot water on demand compared to gas/LPG?

Not really because they use a buffer store.

They are more like a Worcester 440/550 gas/LPG in terms of design building blocks and performance.

You should size your Combi on the basis of Hot Water production, check your property's Standing & Working Water pressure and Importantly Flow rate, theres no point in forking out on a Grant VTX36 if you only have a flow rate of 11 litres/min, at that rate a VTX26 would be more than adequate, Central Heating load is very unlikely to be greater than the Hot Water load ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back