Which boiler (oil) for sealed system with Megaflow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a complete novice so please be gentle...

I have a sealed central heating system with a Heatrae Sadia Megaflo cylinder and an old Grandee oil fired boiler which needs replacement.

I am inclined to go with a Worcester Bosch or a Grant boiler (but am open to other recommendations), but I have no idea whether I need to be looking at a specific type of boiler for a sealed system or whether conventional boilers are suitable without buying some kind of conversion kit. I have also read about 'system boilers' - do I need one of these for a sealed system or are these unrelated?

I keep reading about a pressure gauge on the boiler itself (which we don't seem to have at the moment on the Grandee), but there is already a pressure gauge attached to the expansion vessel next to the cylinder in the airing cupboard - isn't this the same thing?

Would the Worcester Greenstar Camray Utility 18/25 suit my system?
http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/products/oil-boilers/greenstar-camray-utility-1825

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Go with the Grant they are the premier oil fired boiler on the market at this time

Some installers like Worcester Bosch, BUT Service Engineers HATE them they are horrible to work on and repair too much plastic for an oil fired boiler IMHO! you won't go far wrong with a Grant ;)

10 years old and appears never to have been serviced! Full of soot and dangerous/unserviceable I am told.

Sponsored Links
I see what you're saying, but the servicing guy has refused to service it (and taken no money for assessing it) because he feels it will be dangerous to use regardless of how much soot he can remove - some of the bolts are rusted firmly into place etc.

The question is actually about whether a conventional condensing oil boiler can be used on a sealed system or whether additional kit needs to be fitted.

Dont get the worcester, their oil boilers are terrible to install and maintain

Grant a definate better choice

The question is actually about whether a conventional condensing oil boiler can be used on a sealed system or whether additional kit needs to be fitted.

Yes it can, using external vessel, PRV & filling kit. The only requirement is for a manual reset o/heat. Most have them today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back