Do I really need a sealed system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a house extension built (shell at moment) and all the plumbers are quoting me for a Worcester Bosch Oil Condensing Boiler and a Megaflow to provide pressurised hot water.

The old part of the house is an old vented system but with a relatively new large vented hot water tank which seems a shame not to re-use. In the same way as I have a monsoon pump to feed the shower, couldn't I achieve pressurised hot water by simply having a pump and flow sensor fitted to the outlet of the existing hot water tank? Do I really need a sealed system or do building regs require it now anyway?

PS: I've been quoted £7500 for the supply and fit of a 250litre Heatrae Sadia Megaflow; Worcester-Bosch Greenstar II Oil Condensing Boiler; flue; oil-line fire valve; copper pipework to 12 rads (but excluding supply of rads). Is this about right or way over the top?

Sponsored Links
Over the top is putting it mildly (not for cost but for pointless complexity), I'm surprised they haven't included combi as well!!.

Megaflo, if you're rich and you like to spend money servicing and maintaining, carry on. Condensing boiler, you'll be lucky to get payback in 8 years, and if the price of oil goes up, maybe 5 years. A long time for extra maintenance risk. They will be dearer to service.

Vented tank, renew washer every 15 years. Unvented tank, become rich, then you could afford it.

There are no building regs problems, though next April there is supposed to be a requirement for all boilers to be condensing. Idoubt it will happen, as manufacturers have too many problems.

Incedentally the Worcester Greenstar is a rebadged French built Geminox.

Homer,
Wouldn't question the quote without seeing the site, however oilman's opinion is but one. Nothing to be scared about with condensing (although I'm talking gas, oil may differ). Go look at a new build or somewhere that's got correctly installed unvented hw. Great stuff. Oh, and a combi/unvented mix can be just what some people want/need.

Great stuff. Oh, and a combi/unvented mix can be just what some people want/need.

Great stuff, wonderful price, nice profit. This is the installer's end, what they frequently don't tell you is the other side. If, when you know that, you still want one that's your affair, and your want. As for NEED, you don't NEED it.

Sponsored Links
I agree with Oilman, seems like profit before customers needs and future maintenance expense being a problem, shop around and see what other firms recommend, dont be bullied into something you dont want or need.

A bit presumptive to tell the customer what they do or don't need! And why talk of 'bullying' and the suggestion of profiteering? How do you know that both firms aren't genuine? I don't close my mind to the fact that different customers and circumstances have different needs and wants. Maybe we work in different circles but my customers generally like to know the options and make up their own minds and that includes cost options. Do all your customers want the cheapest?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back