System boiler enough for my house?

Remember with the obsure boilers repairs/maintenance can be problematic. I include Viessmann/Atag where backup is poor.

Manufaturure warranties are often void due to installation issues, poor system design and lack of servicing.

Don't forget the cost of maintenance...the initial install price is only part of the cost and some boilers have horendous parts prices eg. Viessmann.

Just remember that when a combi breaks down (and it will) you have no hot water. A cylinder has the immersion heater backup.

Most installers have little understanding of system design and often fit system boilers for simplicity.

Therefore (since the installer won't) ensure the boilers expansion vessel is of sufficient size (and they are often too small and an additional one will be required) and that the pump is capable of circulating the water (again they are often undersized due to modern heat exchanger design).

Most system boilers are really only suitable for smaller properties and but manufacturers produce them with too high Kw outputs for the vessel/pump. You are also lumbered with the boiler manufactures vessel, pump, safety valve etc. so that can be a much higher expense at repair time.

IMHO with the larger property it's better to have these components seperate to the boiler and use a heat only boiler.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Can someone let me know if the below in bold is necessay

The System will be flushed with hot water and treated with inhibitor on completion, but to ensure you get the maximum life expectancy out of your new boiler we recommend that the old pipe and radiators be flushed with a machine that will pump a high pressure mild acid based solution around the system making sure there is no sediment left that will be passed on to your new boiler. This service is available at an additional discounted rate of £350.00 + vat

I wouldn't, get a magnaclean for a £100.00 and don't let them charge you another £100 notes to fit it.

Have we decided on a boiler make/model yet.

How we doing for quotes.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't, get a magnaclean for a £100.00 and don't let them charge you another £100 notes to fit it.

Have we decided on a boiler make/model yet.

How we doing for quotes.

Yup :)

the Stelflow Unvented Indirect Cylinder 210L
Worcester 30CDi condensing system boiler
Worcester Bosch and therefore this boiler will come with an 8 year parts and labour guarantee included in

Still not sure about what to use for the water softner

Quote is around the 3.6k + VAT incluting the removal of a gas fire and the install of a Saniflo pumped waste.

Which is great I think.

Actually we had 2 quotes at similar price

30 Kw still sounds oversized to me, is the insulation non existent.

The water softener is good if you are in a hard water area but you do not need one for the boiler.

Kinetico would be my choice..

30 Kw still sounds oversized to me, is the insulation non existent.

The water softener is good if you are in a hard water area but you do not need one for the boiler.

Kinetico would be my choice..

We have insulation but we need to improve it which is going to be done.
We are in a hard water area, we don't want a poper water softner where we have to have a separate tape for the water to drink or where we cannot water the garden. We want one for our appliance to avoid them to be dammage by the water.

OP if you get a water softner then a hard water supply must be connected to the boiler/heating system, you CANNOT feed a WB from the sofened side.

The system must be flushed either a manual flush using chemicals or a powerflush, a WB hex does not like any debris in the system, anyway if it's not flushed it will invalidate the warentee.

Simon: :eek: I deleted one too many quote marks

Dan: :oops: :LOL:

OP if you get a water softner then a hard water supply must be connected to the boiler/heating system, you CANNOT feed a WB from the sofened side.

The system must be flushed either a manual flush using chemicals or a powerflush, a WB hex does not like any debris in the system, anyway if it's not flushed it will invalidate the warentee.

The Quote should include whatever is required to do the job as per the MIs, and not a series of add-ons, thats a rip-off.

Whats the betting they'll come up with another £500 quid to ungrade the Gas once they have their feet in the door.

Ok, can't see the job but £3.6 K sounds a reasonable price, plus a load of extras does not.

What additional information do you get by measuring the garden tap WITH the kitchen cold tap on? Is this what is referred to as the dynamic as opposed to static flow rate?
If there is very little difference between the flow rates you know you have good pressure.

I suggest using the garden tap because many kitchen taps, particularly the cheaper ones will give false readings as they restrict the flow.

All flow is dynamic. Static flow is contradictory.

It's the pressure which is static (no flow) or dynamic (flow).

he used the garden tap, he did the pressure test with one device and another test with a flow cup.

I was talking to a home owner recently who has got the idea that only softened water should be used in heating systems.

To add to the complications, they have had differing advice when calling the UK or German offices of the boiler maker!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back