Combi in a 2/3 bathroom house?

Thanks muggles - So potentially if the house has been empty for a few days, I would have to run off 170lt of cold water before seeing hot appear out of the taps? Or is the feed off from the tank near the hot fill feed?

It seems a good system for a house that has a lot people living in it, to keep the cylinder always topped up with hot water? But not so good for occasional hot water usage?

No, if the cylinder is hot then you will have hot water, if the cylinder is cold you won't. So if you're away for a few days you need to set the timer (which I think *may* have a holiday mode) to be off for a few days, and then come back on in time for when you're due to return. It doesn't take very long to heat the cylinder, and I doubt there would be many situations where you got into a house and immediately had to use a hot tap, so provided you switch it on when you return it should be fine by the time you've settled yourself back in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks muggles - So potentially if the house has been empty for a few days, I would have to run off 170lt of cold water before seeing hot appear out of the taps? Or is the feed off from the tank near the hot fill feed?

It seems a good system for a house that has a lot people living in it, to keep the cylinder always topped up with hot water? But not so good for occasional hot water usage?

No, if the cylinder is hot then you will have hot water, if the cylinder is cold you won't. So if you're away for a few days you need to set the timer (which I think *may* have a holiday mode) to be off for a few days, and then come back on in time for when you're due to return. It doesn't take very long to heat the cylinder, and I doubt there would be many situations where you got into a house and immediately had to use a hot tap, so provided you switch it on when you return it should be fine by the time you've settled yourself back in.

Sorry but your wrong. Have a look into it further and you'll see how it works. This boiler will always provide hot water. When you run down the store it will continue to provide hot water at 12l/min.
Its really an excellent solution as you get an unvented cylinder but with a backup supply of unlimited hot water. I've installed one myself and have another coming up soon. No point if you haven't got sufficient flow though.

Thanks muggles ... clears it up.

I've been quoted £4000+vat to supply and fit a Glowworm Ultrapower 170.

Does that sound about right?

I see the boilers are about £1400+vat so they are charging £2600+vat for fitting.

Thats to site it where the current Kingfisher RS80 is in the garage, and rip out the water cylinder etc from the airing cuboard.

22mm mains exists into the house and is an easy fed into the garage from the adjoining kitchen rising main.

Sorry but your wrong. Have a look into it further and you'll see how it works. This boiler will always provide hot water. When you run down the store it will continue to provide hot water at 12l/min.
Its really an excellent solution as you get an unvented cylinder but with a backup supply of unlimited hot water. I've installed one myself and have another coming up soon. No point if you haven't got sufficient flow though.

mickyg - But if the store is cold will it initially start off at 12l/min? And is that bypassing the store completly?

Had the flow and pressure tested today - its very good.
Pressure was over 5bar ... and with a cold mains tap on full it only dropped to 2.2 bar ...

Sponsored Links
mickyg - But if the store is cold will it initially start off at 12l/min? And is that bypassing the store completly?

Yes, if the store is cold then yes it will provide a maximum of 12l/min at 35C rise(28kw combi performance). Thats not to say only 12l/min will come out of the tap but that will be the maximum performance so you'll have to self regulate. Given however that it only takes about 15mins to fully recharge its hardly ever likely you'll come to this situation anyway, and while your drawing on the store it constantly recharges it. So if your using say 20 l/min of water (2 showers at once) its still recharging around 12 l/min as your doing this. So effectively your only drawing off 8 l/min, and from a 170 litre store you can be running those showers for a good 20minutes before you'll run down the store completely.

Oops so it is, hands up, my mistake. It's a while since I've put one in, must re-read the info...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back