Gas hob installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 12 years ago I installed a cooker with a gas hob connected to a propane bottle using parts obtained from a small retail outlet. I am installing a new kitchen and now need to dump the old cooker and install a permanent gas hob in a worktop. Unfortunately the place where I got the parts has closed down and I haven't been able to find anywhere else that stocks them.

I have tried the usual DIY places, several builders merchants, plumbers merchants, and LPG suppliers, but none stock the bits I need. My problem is I don't know exactly how to specify the items so I can order via the internet or by telephone. I especially need to know what dia copper tubing to get so I can install the pipe run through the wall before the kitchen floor units are installed. The old pipe seems to be about 9mm external diameter.

I also need a spigot end with compression fitting and a length of hose to connect the pipe run to the reducing valve which sits on the propane cylinder, and a compression fitting to fit a male 1/2 inch tapered connector on the hob.

Can anyone tell me what is the correct diameter of the tubing, and what the items are known as in the trade? Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You're kidding, right?

What I need to know most importantly is the diameter/specification of the copper tube so I can install it before the kitchen units (arriving Friday). I don't want to guess at it and end up with tubing that is only used in wet plumbing. If necessary I can get someone Corgi-certified to complete the installation, but I don't really want to pay someone for a double journey.

Ideally I would like to get all the bits from one supplier so that I would be certain they would fit and I can do it myself. But I haven't found anybody behind a trade counter who can help.

Sir, it's only legal for you to do this work if you're competent. Since you can't work out the pipe size, we have to judge that you aren't.
You need a Corgi regd guy who is LPG qualified.
Make holes for 15mm pipe and you should be ok!

Sponsored Links
i know where your coming from just want to save some cash but be carefull this is gas were talking about i would run 15mm pipe then easy to get fittings you need, plus use the right kind of sealant for gas. any port in a storm sailer.

Firstly,

I suggest u ring "calor force" an LPG specialized company who can help you in connecting a hob to an existing LPG supply. LPG operates on a high pressure so pipe sizing is important, but, not specific as the calorific value is higher than NG. For god's sake and your neighbours, with whom you owe an obligation to be safe, get a qualified guy out! Saving money means you might not save your life and that or your family and neighbours......From 2007 if you go to sell your home and any gas work carried out is illegal you will not be able to sell your home unless it has been correctly fitted and certified as well.....

From you LPG Tank you need a 1st stage regulator (750MBar) then a 2nd stage regulator (37MBar) this reduces the pressure down. U must use galvanized steel pipe from tank and put it underground at a certain depth. Unless you already have them installed then you are OK. Then you must tell your cooker/hob supplier obviously that you require the LPG injector jets not NG as some manufacturers don't send the LPG type.

Be very careful please!!!

Also, LPG is heavier than NG. SO, run the pipes in the wrong place, LPG sinks and now you have a pocket of gas. Any spark and your house becomes a rocket.

Thanks all, but the problem has been solved. I talked to the manager of a gas appliance retail outlet who was very helpfull and advised me on the fittings. Apparently the hob connector is difficult to get, even for him, and his fitters just carry a few for their own use, so he couldn't help with that. But based on the length of tubing required he advised 10mm with a plastic coating from the hob to the exterior and then step up to 15mm if the bottles are not close by. I obtained some Protec easily enough so the installation can go ahead. I will probably have to use a professional to connect up the hob in order to get the fitting.

To clear up any misconceptions, there is no tank involved, just a simple propane cylinder with no auto switch over gear, just a pressure reducer on the cylinder. Just two compression connectors are required, which is exactly the same as my previous installation which lasted 11 years without any problems. This was done with the help of the CORGI installation book, and the installation complied. The only difference is that as the hob is a fixed appliance there is a recommendation that an on/off tap be included next to the hob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back