Use of flexible copper pipe to connect gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has just brought a flat with a recently refurbished kitchen and I noticed that the gas hob has been connected using one of those short lengths of bendy (corrugated ) copper pipes between the hob connection and a gas isolation valve. The installation looks quite neat and professional, with good support to the pipe work and the 300mm long flexible section fits into compression fittings at either end, one at the gas valve and one at the hob. I have only previously seen this type of bendy copper pipe on water connections. Is it OK to use it on a gas installation like this?

Sponsored Links
Doubt it conforms to be BS699 and EN15622 for use with hobs. If you really want flexible to the hob then there is a product that suits application provided the manufacturer actually approves a flexible connection, meeting those standards, to be used on their appliance in their MI's. There are also other things to be taken into account also.

A quick call to an RGI and it will probably be sorted and SAFE within an hour or so.

At present your appliance is at risk, possibly immediately dangerous due to an inappropriate gas fitting and could also be RIDDOR'd.

Sponsored Links
Under gas regulations anything used on gas has to be designated as safe for the purpose by the manufacturers!

The only similar ones I have ever seen designated for gas have been made from stainless steel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back