tracpipe for gas hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, guys. I used to have a free standing gas cooker connected by a rubber pipe to the supply. Now I am going to change to a gas hob on the top of electric oven. I understand I cannot use the rubber bayonet pipe but a rigid copper connection. If I want to change another gas hob, I have to re-adjust the position of the supply copper position. Every time, it will involve a corgi's work. I wonder if I can use the tracpipe (semi flexible, stainless steel, yellow pipe) as the replacement of the bayonet. Once it is there, I can change the gas hobs easily in the future. Financially, it may be more expensive in one-run because the tracpipe is expensive. But it can save the trouble in the future. Technically, any problems?

Sponsored Links
Thank you. As I understand the tracpipe has the connector to match with the gas hobs. Just plug into it.

For a free standing cooler, people just plug in the bayonet to the supply without the corgi, right?

wrong on both counts hobs come with a standard 1/2" (usually male) threaded connection, not a trac pipe connection,
free standing cooker come with no hose fitted. both require a tightness test on connection to gas. 2nd hand cooker may come with hose attached but unless checked for tightness they cannot be guaranteed to be safe.

Sponsored Links
Tracpipe to male BSPT adaptors are available in the range.

I was going to start my post with something like 'Not wanting to encourage someone to do something they are not qualified to do but...' but it sounded condescending.

How often are you planning on swapping your gas hob ?

It seems too suspicious that he wants to use an expensive pipe so that he can change hobs often.

I have this suspicion that he is obtaining used hobs when people upgrade their kitchen and wants to be able to fit whatever comes along in his own home.

The very sad aspect is that he may be fitting hobs for customers when he is not gas registered as he obviously has no regard for the gas regulations!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back