Gas Hob Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Having a new kitchen fitted soon, and getting my uncle in to do most of the fitting, but will be getting a gas fitter in to re-route the gas pipe to the hob.

Currently the pipe is 'hard-connected' into the hob. In my previous house I remember having a bayonet connector with a rubber flexi hose. Can you still get these/are they still allowed to be used?

Thanks

Adam.

Sponsored Links
Cooker flexes are available, but they may only be used if the hob manufacturer expressly permits the use of a flexible pipe and then only if the cooker flex will not come in to contact with anything that may exceed 70 centigrade..ie an oven fitted below. Even then if the gas fitter was to fit a bayonet connection and fitted a cooker flex to the hob, he would still have to commission it. It is not a case of you simply connecting up.

Far better to have the gas fitter connect the hob in copper with an isolator tap.. I can't for the life of me imagine why you would want to use a cooker flex for an appliance that does not need to be moved..

I went to a house where the flexible hose fitted to the hob had leaked gas and caught fire!

The kitchen was fairly well spoilt and will have cost about £3000 to refit and decorate.

Very luckily the Indian tenants all got out safely and had the common sense to turn off the gas supply promptly.

Tony

Hmm - that answers that then.

Basically the reason why we wanted the flexi hose was to be able to disconnect ourselves (and move the unit with the hob and oven out) ready for the plasterer to come in and do his bit

But as you say, if we have to use a gas fitter to commision the connection again there is no point in fitting it.

Looks like we will have to call out the gas fitter a couple of times to disconnect and re-connect again - JOY!

Sponsored Links
you cant use a flexi connection on a hob

Unless the manufacturer specifically states that you can.... Had a blue with a customer over this.. He wanted a cooker flex to be fitted and I said that he couldn't have one... Then he pointed my attention to the page stating that a flexi could be used... I felt a real pillock until I realised that he also wanted his oven fitting below... So I fitted it in copper. Blooming customers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back