Dodgy Gas Hob Connection?? Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a new kitchen on a budget. I have replaced an electric hob with a gas one. I employed the services of a Corgi registered gas fitter who came to connect the hob up.
I had an old gas main in the kitchen which he has re-instated with a new bayonet type connector and fitted the hob with a black flexible 4ft hose.
It took about 45 minutes altogether.
I commented on the fact that the built in oven when put back in place would be touching the flexible rubber hose and asked if that was dangerous given the heat you would expect the oven to generate. He commented that this was normal and the flexible hose was rated to 70C.

However after reading some of the postings on this site, I am concerned.
Is this normal practice, does the back of an oven get hotter than 70C or am I just being paranoid?

Sponsored Links
Read the M.I. as some (not all) must be hard piped and an isolation cock must be fitted.

not completely upto date on this one ,but i think you can use a hose on a hob if you can guarantee the temp does not exceed ,i thought 75 degrees.

I have looked at the Manual and it states that either flexible or fixed connections can be made.

The thing i'm worried about is the fact that the back of the oven touches the hose. Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
im pretty sure it says in the gas regs somewhere that it must be in solid pipe, but as said above follow manufacteres instructions

Some hob manufacturers state a flexible connection can be used, however it is highly unlikely a hose can be installed to comply with the hose manufacturers installation instructions.

Specifically that it will not be damaged by the heat from the oven but more likely it MUST hang down in a U shape. The hose has a metalic liner similar to a shower hose. If this is strained the spiral interlock can come apart and shear through the outer "rubber" hose. This is why the hose must not be under any strain. With an oven jammed up against it this is a distinct possibility.

Did he use a micropoint hose?, these are of smaller diameter and it just be possible to comply with this type of hose.

Otherwise the short answer is he probably bodged it. Contact Corgi, call out an inspector and get it done properly at no extra cost.

I fit a lot of hobs for kitchen fitters and would never use anything other than copper for a hob where an oven is below because there is no guarantee that the oven casing won't exceed 70c and also as Gasguru has said the hose will be forced in to some pretty weird shapes when the oven is fitted...Come to think of it I don't even fit flexis where they are allowed on hobs.. there is no need for it since the hob does not need to be moved for cleaning and copper with an isolator valve id cheaper than a new flexi.

The regs say that if the hob is positioned above an oven the gas supply pipe MUST be in a ridgid metal material ie copper with a gas approved isolating valve.The flexible gas hose connection can be used where the hob is not above - ie adjacent. The approved flexible hose must also be fitted with an isolating valve. I do a lot of landlord inspections and the most common problem w ith the older properties is that they all have a flexible hose which must be changed to suit the curre nt regs. If you have only just had a new hob fitted with a flexible hose then should the worst happen this will invalidate any insurance claim.

Fixed cooker hobs may be installed using a flexible hose, providing this is approved by the appliance manufacturer. The hob should be installed in accordance with appliance manufacturer's installation instructions and BS 6172 - Specification for Installation of domestic gas cooking appliances (2nd and 3rd family gases). The flexible hose for a natural gas supply should be manufactured to BS 669 -1 Flexible hoses, end fittings and sockets for gas burning appliances. Specification for strip-wound metallic flexible hoses, covers, end fittings and sockets for domestic appliances burning 1st and 2nd family gases. Similarly, LPG flexible hoses should also be manufactured to BS 669-1(LPG versions may be identified with either a red band or a stripe). The hose itself should not be subjected to temperatures in excess of 70ºC and should be located such that it will not suffer mechanical damage such as abrasion caused by surrounding kitchen furniture, which may be moved during use, such as a cupboard drawer or door. Guidance on the installation requirements of domestic gas cooking appliances is given in Gas Cookers and Ranges - Domestic (GID2) from the CORGI Gas Installer Manual Series, which is available by using the following link www.corgi-direct.com

Even with a free standing cooker, MI's will state that flexi hose must not come into contact with back of oven.

Get it changed to copper. Safest all round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back