Connecting Gas Hob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of having a new boiler installed as part of a kitchen re-fit.

When I spoke to the RGI he agreed to fit me a connection point for a gas hob as I plan to replace my existing electric hob with a gas hob at some point.

What I was wondering, if he leaves me a connection point for a bayonet gas hose, am I able simply to buy a hob and connect this, or do I need to get a RGI to do it?

Sponsored Links
Can't connect a hob with a cooker hose, has to be rigid pipe (copper) :(

Sam

In all the time I have been doing gas work, I have only once seen instructions that allowed that. It is like drop in the ocean.

Sponsored Links
IF the MI said you could use a piece of garden hose and 2 jubilee clips, would you do it? :eek:

OP- please use the search facility under'cooker hose' or something similar rather than posting a new topic..
This topic has been covered countless times already.

Sambotc
why do you think a hob fitted on a flex to MI would be dangerous.
Yet you would fit a free standing cooker on one and that would be perfectly safe

IF the MI said you could use a piece of garden hose and 2 jubilee clips, would you do it? :eek:

Fit as stated in the manufacturers instructions.Your hypothesis of the jubile clip is very wrong and no manufacturer will ask for that kind of thing

How long ago did you get rid of your spurs :evil: :evil:

Sambotc
why do you think a hob fitted on a flex to MI would be dangerous.
Yet you would fit a free standing cooker on one and that would be perfectly safe

Because there is a specific reason for fitting a flex to a cooker, infact you may not be able to fit one without. Cooker hose's aren't the 'flexible tap connector' of the gas industry, they are designed for a specific reason in mind.

**************************it is a regulation we must adhere too. There are countless other regulations ********, ***we have to conform to them all, not just the one's which we are happy with.

Happy plumber, you are right, my hypothesis of the jubilee wasn't the best, but hardly think I earned the title of being a cowboy because of it. Infact if anyone needs spur's it would be you to get off your high horse.

This forum is designed for the public to ask questions to skilled trades, but the usual 'clan' lurk on it and think they can try and belittle everyone else that crosses there path. No wonder plumbers have a bad name for themselves with the attitudes of some on here. I'm not just reffering to this post either.

Anyway i'll put my hard had on and get ready for the insult's to be fired my way. :D

No, it would not pose any more of a risk than being fitting to a cooker, but it is a regulation we must adhere too. There are countless other regulations which make little sense, but we have to conform to them all, not just the one's which we are happy with.

This forum is designed for the public to ask questions to skilled trades, but the usual 'clan' lurk on it and think they can try and belittle everyone else that crosses there path. No wonder plumbers have a bad name for themselves with the attitudes of some on here. I'm not just reffering to this post either.

Well thats your view but I guess you have not been to a kitchen that has been burnt out after someone fitted a flexible cooker hose to the hob.

Well I have been to one and the damage was considerable but could have been far worse if the bangledeshi tenants had not evacuated the flat and amazingly turned off the emergency control at the meter!

Only the kitchen was damaged and apart from the hob area it was mostly just smoke and decorations.

As far as I could make out there had been a small gas leak at one end of the hose which had ignited and the resulting flame burnt through the rubber resulting in a much bigger gas release with a lot of flames and heat !

And before Namsag suggests it, I did not fit the hob and before the fire I had not been to the property.

Tony

If gas hobs have to be in rigid pipe, then I am guessing ******************. Or else how would one access either appliance's pipework?

Well thats your view but I guess you have not been to a kitchen that has been burnt out after someone fitted a flexible cooker hose to the hob.

Well I have been to one and the damage was considerable but could have been far worse if the bangledeshi tenants had not evacuated the flat and amazingly turned off the emergency control at the meter!

Only the kitchen was damaged and apart from the hob area it was mostly just smoke and decorations.

As far as I could make out there had been a small gas leak at one end of the hose which had ignited and the resulting flame burnt through the rubber resulting in a much bigger gas release with a lot of flames and heat !

And before Namsag suggests it, I did not fit the hob and before the fire I had not been to the property.

Tony

Would the same thing not have happened if it had of been fitted to a freestanding cooker though?

If gas hobs have to be in rigid pipe, then I am guessing built-under gas ovens MUST be in flexi pipe (ours is). Or else how would one access either appliance's pipework?

all this crap...... :eek: follow the MI's. simples and end of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back