Can I use Tracpipe to mount a fixed Gas Hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

My Plumber capped off a gas line (copper) in prep for a new gas hob (standard Bosch 4 burner). Plans have changed and the hob is now moving (approx 1 meter). Without a picture, its difficult to explain just how impossible it is now to get a supply into the hob (think walls and all sorts of other nasty bends and obstacles. It could be done with an infinite supply of copper elbows but it'd look a mess).

I'm aware flexible hosed gas pipes fixed on bayonets can't be used so was thinking of Tracpipe as a 'flexible' alternative. The videos I've seen seem to suggest it can simply be 'bent' into shape. A electric cooker will sit immediately beneath the gas hob (Bosch 6kW) but there is plenty of clearance behind cooker to the wall (approx 10 cm).

Money is no barrier here - I'll happily spend whatever it costs. And yes, I plan on getting a qualified engineer in if Tracpipe is given the 'OK'.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Sure you can connect the trac pipe to the existing copper gas point and
then connect back to a copper pipe to connect to the hob routing
the trace pipe as you wish.

Only requirement is the the compression fitting for the connector
can be accessible.

Only requirement is the the compression fitting for the connector can be accessible.
Do you mean the fitting between gas line (copper) and Tracpipe needs to be accessible? I assume this will be some kind of coupler?

Or:

Do you mean there needs to be one of those lever type valve somewhere on this line which is accessible? If its this, then it'd have to go on the Tracpipe somewhere.

Only requirement is the the compression fitting for the connector can be accessible.
Do you mean the fitting between gas line (copper) and Tracpipe needs to be accessible? I assume this will be some kind of coupler?

Or:

Do you mean there needs to be one of those lever type valve somewhere on this line which is accessible? If its this, then it'd have to go on the Tracpipe somewhere.

You will need a gas valve under the hob so it can be switched off.
There will also be the compression fitting from the existing copper pipe
to the trac pipe. If there is a compression fitting for gas it needs to be
accessible. Hence no compression fittings for gas underfloor boards.

Sponsored Links
You will need a gas valve under the hob so it can be switched off. There will also be the compression fitting from the existing copper pipe to the trac pipe.

Aaaa ok - this makes sense. So BOTH compression fitting and valve need to be accessible. BUT: I have a question:

Logically, this means the gas valve would have to be located in an adjacent cupboard if the cooker is going in? Is this what everybody does?

Planning it in my head, I'd say the Plumber would have to keep going with rigid copper until an accessible opening arises (next cupboard) and there, introduce the valve and compression fitting (unless you can get a Tracpipe compression+valve in 1 - I'll have to check this).

Is my idea correct?

You will need a gas valve under the hob so it can be switched off. There will also be the compression fitting from the existing copper pipe to the trac pipe.

Aaaa ok - this makes sense. So BOTH compression fitting and valve need to be accessible. BUT: I have a question:

Logically, this means the gas valve would have to be located in an adjacent cupboard if the cooker is going in? Is this what everybody does?

Planning it in my head, I'd say the Plumber would have to keep going with rigid copper until an accessible opening arises (next cupboard) and there, introduce the valve and compression fitting (unless you can get a Tracpipe compression+valve in 1 - I'll have to check this).

Is my idea correct?

If it is a hob usually the gas valve is in the cupboard below where the hob is going but there is not requirement for it to be there it could be the cupboard next to it. Usually there is a cooker below the hob these days so it means removing the cooker to get at the gas valve but again not a problem they usually slide out with just a couple of screws holding them in.
That would be classed as accessible.

Thanks very much for the info - sincerely appreciated. Now need to find a Tracpipe accessory which combines a valve and a compression fitting to mate it with a copper pipe.

So why are you researching all this??? why don't you let the tradesman decide how best to do it?
It seams to me like you are planning to tell him how best to do his job!!
an I don't think that will go down to well!!

It seams to me like you are planning to tell him how best to do his job!! an I don't think that will go down to well!!
I probably will end up having to as he's an old school plumber who's hell bent on using copper. Now that its confirmed I can use Tracpipe, I'll call in a professional who's used this stuff.

I have used TracPipe, but it is not as 'slinky' as you may wish, the outer yellow sleeve MUST be intact along its length, not prone to damage from, say, doors/drawers chafing it (or indeed utensils in the drawers).

It requires a lot of clips to keep its shape and is expensive per metre, esp the fittings at each end. The material really is very thin stainless steel - go easy with it.

DH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back