LPG Costs

Although your contract with the supplier may say that you aren't allowed to fiddle with it yourself.

Sponsored Links
Gas is gas as defined by gas safety regs so tank gas is covered. You must be competent to work on lpg gas supply, and so you should be of course.

Hacksaw and a cork, here I come.....

If you hear of a large explosion in the Selby area you know what happened.

shaggy said:
.........When I buy logs I make sure to ask if a new tree is planted for every one that is chopped down. This makes the wood CO2 neutral because the growing tree absorbs more CO2 than is released when burned. Burning wood can be very environmentally friendly.

You're generally a good guy shaggy, but you can't peddle this old tosh. The tree overall is CO2 neutral, but you can't continuously lock it up by growing new trees using this excuse unless you are developing a gigantic timber yard to store the unused bits forever. If the wood is decays anytime, the CO2 will be released.

You don't need to plant new trees either, coppiced woodland grows hardwoods which regenerate after each cutting, and so don't need replanting, and because of their root system, will generate loads more wood than a new tree in the same time.

Another environmental source of fuel would be available from rendering corpses instead of using fossil fuels to incinerate them :evil:

Sponsored Links
I still am a good guy oilman, and doing my bit to protect the environment. What I said wasn't tosh it was good stuff. Even allowing for emissions of CO2 in planting, harvesting, processing and transporting the fuel, replacing fossil fuel with woodfuel will typically reduce net CO2 emissions by over 90%.
The future fuel is wood, but read all about it at BritishBiogen

shaggy said:
I still am a good guy oilman, and doing my bit to protect the environment. What I said wasn't tosh it was good stuff. Even allowing for emissions of CO2 in planting, harvesting, processing and transporting the fuel, replacing fossil fuel with woodfuel will typically reduce net CO2 emissions by over 90%.

The future fuel is wood, but read all about it at BritishBiogen

Didn't say you wern't a good guy, the tosh bit was "........ the growing tree absorbs more CO2 than is released when burned." This is cleverly crafted marketing speak. If you take a verrrrrrryyyyyyy long term view it is irrelevant as some way or other the tree wood will decompose to CO2 and other bits. (Build a dam for hydro electric plant next to it, and it will be flooded and decompose to methane etc -- even worse!). This is close to the misleading statements about rain forests producing the worlds oxygen. If you draw a line round the whole of the rain forest, there will be no net oxygen and no net anything else, trees grow up, fall over, and rot, (if it wasn't for fat greedy gits in the states wanting to pig out on burgers).

I agree wood is a good fuel to use, after all it is a good solar collector, and acts like a battery, storing the energy for when you need it AND allowing you to build a house from it too.

While you are worrying about getting a replacement planted for each one you burn, the government couldn't give a toss about bulldozing thousands so roads and runways can be built so again the net effect is debatable.

Back