LPG Insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been keeping an eye out on Ebay for a van or MPV running on LPG. I just read one ad. where the seller says he has been quoted £1200 to insure a small dual fuel van. If the insurance companies are charging extra for LPG vehicles it defeats the savings on fuel cost. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Sponsored Links
Didn't know this, the only way is to do a few quotes online. This one here is not bad, it give out about 20-30 quotes at the same time!

Also brings up a question:

Why is it more expensive to insure an LPG vehicle? This suggests that the tank is prone to do nasty things in a crash.

Which then makes you wonder how LPG conversions are legal, and possibly how factory-built cars received type-approval!

Powershift, says there are safety devices to shut the valves on the fuel lines in the event of damage and a safe pressure release to avoid the danger of fire in an accident.

32. How will it affect my insurance?
There should be no problems with your
premium, as long as the conversion was
carried out and certificated by an approved installer.

:eek:

Sponsored Links
ive just brought a lpg duel fuel. I insured through egg with a VERY competative price and absolutely no increase for being lpg.
My last (petrol) car was insured through them again a very good price.
Also when you call them you also get an english (or maybe scottish) speaker and are not routed halfway round the world to someone whose english leaves alot to be desired.

Its ok to buy a van already converted but IMO I cant see the value in it otherwise....ok the gas is only what 40p? now...but just what happens once to government sinks its claws into it just like they did with diesel.

At the monet they are deliberatly sitting back..give it a few years it will be the same price, if not more than petrol.

Yes, I've been thinking the same thing!

I suppose at least you can still run it on petrol, so if they do that you still haven't lost anything.

I have a far off friend running V8's tuned for gas only .. having read up a little more during this thread, I must enquire about 'cold', cold starting without petrol preheating .. pumps, freezing pipes n' valves etc.

There are other benifits running gas .. cleaner engine internals, not just emissions ...

Quoted penalty, a reduction to 80% of the petrol mpg.

Just see how one can move to a tasty, s/hand limo and fuel it cheaper than your average shopping trolley !!! On the edge of the congestion zone? save even more by nipping in and out ;)
Oops ! missed this :-
Will I be exempt from Congestion Charging?
Contrary to what is sometimes said, not all LPG conversions qualify for CC exemption. To qualify the car has to meet Band 4 (40% improvement on Euro IV) emissions targets. Please use the Instant Quotation process to see if your car will qualify.

Try the calculator/instant quotation here http://www.greenfuel.org.uk/

A bit concerned about what this bunch doesn't say !! The 2nd hand stuff in their ads is well pricey too ... What is this 'fuel consumption' in petrol terms?? How many miles for same cost as petrol I suppose ... The real figures are impressive enough, no need to guild the lily !! Makes me suspicious ! ;)

AdamW said:
Why is it more expensive to insure an LPG vehicle?

less cost of fuel used: less profit in tax for government. so they stick insurance prices up to try and get some of it back

Gassers in Oz.

1) Current avg LPG cost in Victoria A$0.474 / litre GB£1=A$2.36 therefore 1 litre is 20p or £0.91 PER GALLON

"Check your drivebelt(s) sir?"

Twin throttle body Super Charger
OzGazLpgSc.jpg

Gas Performance V8 - Oz
http://www.gasresearchpc.com.au/html/lpg_system.html
Apparently they go very well when tuned for gas only ....
;)

empip said:
1) Current avg LPG cost in Victoria A$0.474 / litre GB£1=A$2.36 therefore 1 litre is 20p or £0.091 PER GALLON

dont you mean £0.91 per gallon?

andy said:
empip said:
1) Current avg LPG cost in Victoria A$0.474 / litre GB£1=A$2.36 therefore 1 litre is 20p or £0.091 PER GALLON

dont you mean £0.91 per gallon?

Oops! yep, corrected now ... Just gobsmacked ;)

Greenfuel site gives an estimate on doing an MG TF...

I'd like to see where they fit the tank though :LOL: Front boot can't be used (manual says you can't do anything with it, and the spare wheel takes the whole thing up anyway) and the boot behind the engine is just about big enough for a shoebox (only up to size 10 though, size 11 and above won't fit ;) ) LPG would make a TF even more impractical than ever!!!

Apparently converting the late, great MG ZT V8 would save nearly 4 tonnes of CO2 per year for a 25Kmile/yr driver! :eek:

According to an Oz Gov site.
Approximate Carbon dioxide produced per litre of :-
1) Diesel 2.7 Kg per 10.4 m @ 47 mpg worst overall pollutant here.
2) Petrol 2.3 Kg per 7.70 m @ 35 mpg
3) LPG 1.5 Kg per 6.16 m @ 28 mpg (80% of petrol mpg)

Petrol 0.299 Kg/m 12k miles = 3.588 tonnes
Diesel 0.260 Kg/m 12k miles = 3.120 tonnes
LPG 0.244 Kg/m 12k miles = 2.928 tonnes

Makes you think a bit... But not for long.

Sponsored Links
Back