Disputing an insurance write off value

We still don't know what the car is. It could be that the inspecting engineer has done a deal with someone who wants to buy the salvage, wouldn't be the first time, I could name a few.... Vehicles rarely get inspected by a visit these days, the repairer sends images to the assessor.
As above, get on to your insurers and tell them you want to be "indemnified" as per the terms of their contract. Threaten to blow the whistle on the claims management company. That'll get them going as someone high up will probably be on an "earner" from them.
40 years in insurance has left me very cynical about the way the business has gone!

Sponsored Links
Some things still don't make sense to me.

You say that your claims management company arranged an independant valuation & that the repair value was about 40% of the value of the vehicle, yet you also state that the valuer never actually visited the vehicle.

So who has inspected the damage to the vehicle to be able to state what repairs are required?

Where is the car now & have you agreed or committed to accepting any settlement?

That's correct it was a "desktop valuation". When I enquired what that meant, they said that the valuation was based on photos and a description from the repairers. The valuer never physically saw the vehicle.

The car was transferred from the repairers to a salvage company (without my knowledge or agreement). The accident management company and the third party insurers are aware that I would like the salvage to get repaired myself. I have specifically asked them not to sell it until we have agreed a settlement.

We still don't know what the car is. It could be that the inspecting engineer has done a deal with someone who wants to buy the salvage, wouldn't be the first time, I could name a few.... Vehicles rarely get inspected by a visit these days, the repairer sends images to the assessor.
As above, get on to your insurers and tell them you want to be "indemnified" as per the terms of their contract. Threaten to blow the whistle on the claims management company. That'll get them going as someone high up will probably be on an "earner" from them.
40 years in insurance has left me very cynical about the way the business has gone!

Yes, that's exactly it. The vehicle is an 18 month old Jag if that makes a difference.

Nick

So . . . you have a car, an 18mth old Jag that was smashed into by another driver who admitted liability & was insured. There is no dispute over who is at fault here, so effectively you have had a no fault accident.

You have informed your insurance provider who have referred you to a claims management company. The claims management company have provided you with a courtesy car and taken your car away to be assessed.

Your car has been assessed, the cost of the repair is deemed to be too high against the value of the vehicle to proceed, so you have been offered a settlement figure and the courtesy car has been taken away.

I call bullshit.

So . . . you have a car, an 18mth old Jag that was smashed into by another driver who admitted liability & was insured. There is no dispute over who is at fault here, so effectively you have had a no fault accident.

Correct.

Your car has been assessed, the cost of the repair is deemed to be too high against the value of the vehicle to proceed, so you have been offered a settlement figure and the courtesy car has been taken away.

Not quite. The car was assessed and could be repaired for approx 40% of the value but the garage said they couldn't get the required parts for 3 months. The cost of the courtesy car (for the entire 3 month period) then pushed the cost up to the point where it was cheaper for them to write it off. So yes, they sent me a settlement cheque via the accident management company (without my agreement to write it off or on the value of the cheque). The accident management company took the courtesy car back as they considered the matter closed as soon as they had the cheque.

Sponsored Links
OP I think you've been had. They've done a deal on a nice bit of salvage ! Do as I suggest or see a solicitor . With a newish Jag the sums involved are enough to justify legal advice. I bet they'll say your salvage has been "disposed of"

Back