Car Insurance - car hire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hit by a car whose driver claimed it was my fault. My car was only third party fire and theft and was a write off. The other party claimed damages off my insurance company. My insurance company decided to defend the case which took 18 months to go to court.

At court I was exonerated and the other driver found to be 100% at fault. During this time my Father kindly loaned me a car. Whilst I am claiming for the loss of my car etc, can my father claim for the loan of his car to me?

Sponsored Links
Highly unlikely, unless you have documented proof, such as invoice/receipts.
If the car was hired from a hirer company the your chances of success would greatly increase, again providing you have documentation of the agreement.

Highly unlikely, unless you have documented proof, such as invoice/receipts.
If the car was hired from a hirer company the your chances of success would greatly increase, again providing you have documentation of the agreement.

So are you saying if my Father writes out an agreement/invoice? or what exactly do you mean by invoices/receipts then this would be okay. I am also confused why there is greater chance of success if the car was from a hire company.

Simply put I was deprived of my car through no fault of my own and yes I had the use of a car but provided by my Father - I am sorry but I have failed to miss your point about the source of that car

i think you will find you should have asked the insurance company what they planned on doing before you made your own arrangements

as they are unaware off the arrangement they cannot possibly include it in the counter claim that has now been dealt with by the courts

Sponsored Links
I would say not, apparently you have an obligation to keep costs down by borrowing cars etc, I had to sign a discalimer to state I did not have access to other vehicles, mine or family before I could get a replacement vehicle.

So are you saying if my Father writes out an agreement/invoice? or what exactly do you mean by invoices/receipts then this would be okay. I am also confused why there is greater chance of success if the car was from a hire company.

Simply put I was deprived of my car through no fault of my own and yes I had the use of a car but provided by my Father - I am sorry but I have failed to miss your point about the source of that car

What I am saying is because he is your father, the chances will be less. Unless you can prove your father runs a car hire business, you have a contract with terms and conditions, invoices, proof of payment etc...
your chances of a refund will be something like zero or even less!
But it is normal to contact the insurers prior to making any arrangements.

Back