lst radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to fit a low surface temp radiator, there is no requirement to have any temperature control on this rad it just needs to be hot in winter and off in summer, in place of standard rad valves i am thinking of installing two 1/4 turn full bore ball valves, the circulation in this part of the building has always been poor hence my reasoning to fit full bore valves, can anyone see any pitfalls in this approach. many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Balancing the rad with a quarter turn valve will be a bloody hard job.

there is no requirement to have any temperature control on this rad it just needs to be hot in winter and off in summer

err is that not temperature control,then.
what if in the winter, the area being fed by the lst, is too warm.

what make of lst....myson or stelrad?

Sponsored Links
Do you know what an Lst radiator is, and why it was spec'ed

1 Bengasman agreed balancing would not be easy.
2 glasgowgas being able to turn a rad off or on is temp control, i was refering to degrees inbetween.
3 doitall an lst radiator is what it says, a radiator with a low surface temperature, this is a standard rad with an outer cover usually specified for safety purposes in an area where vulnerable persons have access.
A rad without trv would probably not satisfy regs but i am refering to this on a practical level. original question remains.

Well, there is the point that full bore lever valves are not necessarily designed (or manufactured) to with stand the kind of use you are planning.

Apart from almost impossible to balance, you also have the disadvantage that it will take virtually nothing to undo your balancing work, which will have a negative effect on the rest of the system.

And then there is the question: why on earth would you want to do it with something that is designed to have another function?
Why not a trv, or wheelhead valve?

I have the feeling that you are trying to achieve something that is not really necessary in a way that is asking for trouble.

I agree Bengasman.

The best and as far as I'm concerned the only way is with a remote sensor on a TRV, either a fixed head on the case or wall mounted.

Bengasman/Doitall, thanks for your time and input, everything you say is quite correct, there is however a little bit more to the job than you are aware the client has specified that absolutely no controls or pipes are to be on show in the room even the cover on the rad has to be scurely screwed to the wall (it is going to be a pig of a job) and unless i devise a screwed removable panel the cover would have to be unscrewed just to bleed it, I intend to enter the room from the room next door (which is a bathroom) coming central and below the rad with 15 m copper or plastic which will be totaly encased within the cover, the pipework next door also cannot be on show and i will be dropping from the ceiling void above within the ips paneling behind the toilet and basin, this also raises the question of if i where to use one where to mount the remote trv sensor, within the constraints of the job the only place would be within the ips paneling next door, this is obviously not ideal as it would not be sensing the temp in the room where the rad is and to make any adjustment would involve unscrewing the paneling. this is where the client has agreed the rad will either be on or off and no inbetween, to be honest i am not expecting this radiator to get to warm going off the rest of this very old system which has been added to and added to over the years which is the main reason i have been toying with the idea of full bore valves instead of rad valves to give max flow thru, bengasman you mentiond wheelhead valves i prefere 1/4 turn ball valves as they are a better quality product and with the lever handle removed are more compact. Any type of electric heating the client deems a fire hazard so thats out,oh well i will probably end up using trv with head removed and lockshield and if anything alters in the future they will have the option of fitting a remote head, i just thought someone out there might have tried this unconventional approach at sometime. many thanks

You could stick the remote sensor above the skirting just inside the case, not ideal but better than not having one.

sorry must have missed something, did you give us the make/model of L.S.T radiator

glasgowgas radiator make will be myson lst super, not sure how this helps.

In schools we fit a trv on the rad inside the cover which is locked so as to allow temp control by the caretakers only .

glasgowgas radiator make will be myson lst super, not sure how this helps.

helps me, these rads are dogs.
are you buying the rads or customer?
myson do a control pack ( includes shaped pipe,trv,ls,plumbing block)
as an optional extra, as do stelrad.
you`ve got a case,brackets and a rad, get the options pack,and all your solutions are there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back