sludge in a radiator?

Sponsored Links
banjodeano, good evening again.

A couple of considerations?

1/. The system was bled and balanced, then left un-used for some time, there is a possibility that during the down time rust has dropped of the inside of the rad and effectively blocked of either, the inlet or outlet?
2/. Can you see the magnetic filter? if so is it collecting muck?
3/. have you attempted to very, very gently tap the offending Rad, near the bottom of the rad?

Ken.

***UPDATE GUYS****
Thanks for everyone's contribution and advice.i thought i would update the thread and let you know how it was resolved. and to anyone looking at a similar problem..
My plumber came out to the radiator that wasnt heating up, he took it off and flushed it out, the water was pretty clear when it came out, so he looked at the one pipe that he DIDN'T replace, apparently he replace all the stubs to the radiator, and then under the floor it was all connected with plastic, i guess it would look a mess if the plastic connected straight to the radiators, anyway, one pipe to this radiator wasn't replaced as it went through the joist below and then 90 degree through a wall, i believe the original pipework was fitted when the house was built, and to save taking the carpets back and cutting the boards to get to this void he left this small bend in place and connected at the other side of the wall, well this bend was blocked up, he connected a flexipipe to it and opened the valve with the water shooting into a bucket, connected back together the radiator gets as hot as the rest...
Thanks again for all the advice

Sponsored Links
Now that is what I call a RESULT!

I am feeling sorry for the recalcitrant Rad hope you can forgive it?

As for your plumber? If I were you I would keep his Mob. No. on speed dial, when you get good service it is worth holding on to?

Ken.

As for your plumber? If I were you I would keep his Mob. No. on speed dial, when you get good service it is worth holding on to?
OP ... was the guy that fixed it, the chap that returned and then fixed it ?

If so then it should have been sorted the first time before it was handed over and before he left after replacing the system pipework, rather than getting a call back ... so not sure he's that good TBH :whistle:

OP ... was the guy that fixed it, the chap that returned and then fixed it ?

If so then it should have been sorted the first time before it was handed over and before he left after replacing the system pipework, rather than getting a call back ... so not sure he's that good TBH :whistle:
yeah, it was the same fella, i hear what you are saying, when they fitted the new boiler/pipework, they gave it a quick run and the rad got hot, well Luke warm, then the heating was switched off for the summer months, i guess that he thought the small remaining pipe would be okay to use again, ideally it should have all been replaced, but would most plumbers make work for themselves by taking carpets and boards up that they didnt think needed it? he guessed and got it wrong, anyway, we are all sorted now ready for the winter.
thanks for your input

As I see it, the O/Ps plumber pitched up, had a look, sussed the problem and fixed it, no phaff job NOW done

Loads of so called tradesmen would simply not do this?

Ken

Any decent tradesman should have run the system up till all was hot and ran for a time, for one thing it's the only way to disperse the inhibitor properly.

No Phaff?? To be honest that problem shouldn't have been there in the first place, the phaff is having a customer that has to call back the installer when he doesn't have a working radiator.

It's not really about making work for yourself, it's about correct commissioning and being fully tested. If it's not all ok then fix it at the time, getting a call back and possibly an unhappy client is more work than doing it first time.

Of course there are always reasons for call back even with a system that's brand new but IMO he missed something that really shouldn't have been missed.

well. you couldnt make it up, the problem radiator has been working great the last couple of days, but i have just put the heating on again and the radiator is clock cold, just messaged the guy to see what he is gonna do,

So he replaced a section of pipe that was blocked ,with sludge presumably, then it was OK for a few days ,and now it won't heat at all ?? Turn off all other rads at their TRV 's ( don't touch the lockshields ) and see if it then heats up.

So he replaced a section of pipe that was blocked ,with sludge presumably, then it was OK for a few days ,and now it won't heat at all ?? Turn off all other rads at their TRV 's ( don't touch the lockshields ) and see if it then heats up.
no, he flushed the pipe out, then it worked for a while, it goes down through a joist and then bends 90 degrees through the wall, he then connect at that point to the new pipework, he says the pipe may have a kink in it and will replace it, which he probably should have done from the off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back