Luck, does it rub off?

A

Alarm

M8 had a bet over the weekend, 20p E/w 4 horses £819.00 return for a £6.00 bet in total.

Another has a new job today, went stunning and actually won a new contract for "them" as it was a new partnership.

Moi, walked into pub, saw the fruit machine saying "add 30p" to play...............£70 jackpot...................

So does luck rub off.............. :?:

PS I very very rarely bet and certainly not fruit machines, I just "felt lucky" to have a go.

Sponsored Links
I'm feeling lucky. I rekon I'll 'rub off'. :mrgreen:

luck certainly does rub off, there's not a trace of mine left.

I've always found in life, lucky people are always the ones that deserve it the least.

Sponsored Links
luck certainly does rub off, there's not a trace of mine left.

I never even had any to start with!
If I put a bet on a horse running in a one horse race it would fall at the first fence FFS!!!

>
>
> Irish Luck - !
> His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, while
> trying to make a living for his family, he heard a cry for help coming
> from a nearby bog. He dropped his tools
>
> and ran to the bog.
>
> There, mired to his waist in black muck, was a terrified boy, screaming
> and struggling to free himself. Farmer Fleming saved the lad from what
> could have been a slow and terrifying death.
>
>
> The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the Scotsman's sparse
> surroundings. An elegantly dressed nobleman stepped out and introduced
> himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved.
>
>
> 'I want to repay you,' said the nobleman. 'You saved my son's life.'
>
>
> 'No, I can't accept payment for what I did,' the Scottish farmer
> replied waving off the offer. At that moment, the farmer's own son came
> to the door of the family hovel.
>
>
>
> 'Is that your son?' the nobleman asked.
>
>
>
> 'Yes,' the farmer replied proudly.
>
>
>
> 'I'll make you a deal. Let me provide him with the level of education
> my own son will enjoy If the lad is anything like his father, he'll no
> doubt grow to be a man we both will be proud of.' And that he did.
>
> Farmer Fleming's son attended the very best schools and in time,
> graduated from St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London, and went
> on to become known throughout the world as the noted Sir Alexander
> Fleming, the discoverer of Penicillin.
>
>
> Years afterward, the same nobleman's son who was saved from the bog was
> stricken with pneumonia.
>
> What saved his life this time? Penicillin.
>
> The name of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill .. His son's name?
>
> Sir Winston Churchill.
>
> Someone once said: What goes around comes around.
>

>
>
> - !
> His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, .
>
Similar happened to a Laker and a Branston - one laughed @ the other for messing around in balloons instead of investing in aircraft and conveyors :rolleyes: . Guess which one got into a pickle

I hope that luck does rub off!!!

A friend of mine won £90 on the lottery last week so I'm now going to take out a lotto ticket this week :D

Fingers crossed!

I was a mathematician before I was an engineer so I have to laugh at what we might call the common man's perception of luck. Take, for example, the infamous 'law of averages' --

"After five heads in a row, by the law of averages the next one must be a tail." The law of averages says no such thing. Here are a few more:

"Some people are just born lucky." No they aren't.

"If he fell in the river he'd come up with a fish in his mouth." Or botulism. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Disaster is in their body language and they attract lightning." Did Alex Comfort really write that! :eek: :eek: :eek:

So what's the truth? Well, the science of statistics is built around the assumption that certain events, like the toss of a coin, have outcomes that are equally probable, in this case heads or tails. (The purist would add two additional possibilities: it lands on its edge or it doesn't land at all but we'll let that pass. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ) This fundamental postulate has no proof but, if you accept it, a whole branch of mathematics follows and it tells us that:

After five heads in a row, the next one is just as likely to be a head as a tail.

Nobody is born lucky. Nobody is born unlucky.

The pessimist is no more likely to be struck by lightning than the optimist (though the pessimist won't be surprized if it happens).

So why do some people appear to get 'all the luck'? :?: :?: :?: It's a fair question with a simple answer. Take a million people and get them all to toss a coin. Heads represents good luck and tails is bad. Elementary statistics predicts that most people will have good or bad luck in roughly equal proportions. But it also predicts that about a thousand people will get ten heads in a row while another thousand will get ten tails. If you got ten heads, it's a fair bet that you'd be feeling lucky :D :D :D . And what if you got ten tails? :cry: :cry: :cry:

It's pure chance; just like winning the lottery. A straightforward calculation shows that your chances of getting all six numbers are around fourteen million to one and yet somebody usually manages to do it. :eek: :eek: :eek: So they do, but how many people died on the roads that same week? Which event was more probable? Logically you're much more likely be another RTA statistic so you should put your lottery money into a life insurance policy. :idea: :idea: :idea:

I was lucky the other day when I went to see my Dad after a 2 weeks and found him laying on the floor of the kitchen. He had been like that for 1/2 hour. It was difficult getting him up because he weighs 20 stone and my backs not to good. He was fine after I made him dinner and he went off down the town on his scooter to get some shopping.
So if you would like to send me an article of clothing with £10 (in a return envelope) I'll rub it on my back because it was very lucky for me I didn't strain it again. :LOL:

It's pure chance; just like winning the lottery. A straightforward calculation shows that your chances of getting all six numbers are around fourteen million to one and yet somebody usually manages to do it

Are the changes of getting numbers one to six in a straight row equal to getting an assortment of numbers.... it always sounds harder but I am not sure if they both have an equal chance :confused:

You see people feeding the fruit machines and won't get off because it hasn't paid out for a while. The don't seem to realise that chance has no memory - the first spin is just as likely to get a prize as the 100th.

You see people feeding the fruit machines and won't get off because it hasn't paid out for a while. The don't seem to realise that chance has no memory - the first spin is just as likely to get a prize as the 100th.

Are these machines not programmed to have a % payout based on the amount deposited though? Or is that a myth. I hear that a lot and some machines have a sticker that shows a guaranteed payout rate.
I don't know much about these machines as avoid them completely but would be interested if anyone knows the answer :D

Random chance will give you a payout. Sooner or later 3 bars or whatever will come along. You can set the payout by setting the number of winning combinations.

Sponsored Links
Back