Luke warm radiator and Kettling Effect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my son's radiator seems to be only partially full of water and therefore doesn't heat up properly. I have used a radiator key to air the radiator and although some air comes out, the water never comes out when all of the air is released. Also, the radiator makes a lot of clunking noises and sounds like a kettle boiling when the heating is switched on as though it is not full of water and thus, the radiator is only hot at the bottom. How do I fix this and make sure the water is topped up?

Also, my other son's radiator starts making a vibrating noise about an hour after the heating has been turned on and only stops when I move the thermostat on his radiator higher. I usually have it on a No. 3 setting when it vibrates and have to move it to No. 4 or 5 for it to stop which is too hot for his room. How can I fix this so that I can set the thermostat on his radiator at any level without it vibrating?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Need more info regarding the cold radiator,if its an open system i suspect your cold feed may be blocked, or if its a sealed system, you need to top the pressure of the system up before and after you bleed the rad.

Regarding the vibtration noise, its either a faulty thermostatic rad valve or the valve is on the wrong side of the rad.

It probably is a blocked feed pipe but try the following first

Make sure that the system is turned off when you bleed the rad.

Also the vent hole could be blocked. Remove the nipple completely and try a needle in the hole to clear any blockage. Do this job with the system cold and keep a couple of old towels handy in case you drop the nipple

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back