Radiator humming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having an intermittent issue with the bathroom radiator that is occasionally creating a humming ( vibrating ) noise. The radiator is turned off at the TVR, however it comes on occasionally when the bathroom gets really cold ( when I first turn the heating on in the morning ). However, occassionally it creates a humming noise. The only way to fix the problem appears to be turning up the TVR ( even a tiny bit ). There is no other radiators making any noise and the noise is definitely not coming from the boiler. The radiator and TVR in question have been fitted for approximately 5 years. I initially thought it could be air in the system so I bled the radiator and got a small amount of air out. However, after I retried last night and there didnt appear to be any air in the radiator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I havent tried turning it right up as turning it up a little bit appears to resolve the issue. I will try turning it right up next time it occurrs.

Are the valves easy to replace?

Cheers

Apols, I meant does it stop if you turn the TRV fully off, not on, too? Does it have a 0 after the frost snowflake symbol? If it does stop when at 0, then it's the TRV.

If it's that annoying then replacement difficulty depends on type of system and location. The actual change of the valve is pretty straightforward, 2 nuts, but how much you need to drain down can add to complexity, that's where the location and type of system comes in.

Sponsored Links
Hi mate,

The TRV is on 0 as you mention when it happens. However, the radiator still heats up first thing in the morning as the bathroom can get quite chilly through the night.

Thanks for you help.

Steve

Hi mate,

The TRV is on 0 as you mention when it happens. However, the radiator still heats up first thing in the morning as the bathroom can get quite chilly through the night.

Thanks for you help.

Steve

You didn't say, is there a frost symbol before the 0? If so and it's on 0 then the TRV should be fully off and if it's heating in the morning then the valve isn't working correctly. Either the pin is stuck or the valve isn't closing fully, time to replace.

Hi mate,

Yea, it has 0, followed by the snowflake symbol, then followed by a 1 etc.

So from what you have described the TRV is broken.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

Yup, the valve being at 0 should turn it completely off and no heat should get to the rad, if it's heating up then the valve must be lifting letting hot water in which is where the humming (vibration) is probably coming from.

Needs replaced.

Try swapping the head with another rad, if it makes the other rad hum then its the head, if the bathroom one keeps humming then its probably the valve. If none of them hum, then happy days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back