Luke-warm shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I think we have a problem with our combi boiler (it's a Sime). It's about 8 years old and hasn't been serviced for probably that long (I am a tennant).

Over the last 4 months or so our shower has been getting cooler and cooler to now the point where it's not warm enough to use, so we are having to have baths. The mains pressure is okay, but the cold water flow is more than the hot - I haven't measured accurately, is easy to tell just from turning the taps on. If we run the bath or kitchen hot taps slowly, the water is very hot, but if we turn up the pressure, the water then cools down.

Based on what I have read in this (excellent) forum, I think our boiler needs descaling or a new heat exchanger. We have had a plumber around who seems very keen to replace the entire boiler, and has quoted about £750 to do that (£480 boiler + £250 install), I think he may just want to get a decent job rather than doing an easier and less profitable fix.

I would have thought a plumber could descale it (is it possible for us to descale it ourselves?) or replace the heat exchanger for much less than £750. I have tried 'Find an Expert' for our area (West London - Hammersmith) but there were no plumber listed unfortunately.

As a side note, the boiler pressure is always 0 bar, I often fill it so it is between 1 and 1.5 bar, but always drops back to 0 within a day - we don't seem to have any radiator leaks, so I am guessing the leak is within the boiler? This lack of pressure doesn't seem to affect anything - our heating is fine, and even when it is at 1.3 bar our hot water is still not hot enough at high pressure.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that the maintenance and repair of the CH would be the landlords responsibility. If you have a tenancy agreement then it will detail what you are and are not responsible for.

I remember something about the requirement for a landlords certificate to detail that the gas appliances are in good nick and not poisoning anyone. This (I think) is required by law and is provided by the gas engineer doing the service who should leave you with your own copy.

Yes, that's true and thanks for the info, but we just want to get the problem sorted out. Our Landlord will pay all the costs, I'm just trying to keep the costs to a minimum.

So any chance that the solution is just a boiler rescale would be most welcome! Whether we can DIY and descale it ourselves or a plumber can do it is what I would like to find out.

Sponsored Links
sorry can't help in fixing the problem :oops:

Just a bit concerned that the boiler hadn't been maintained properly.

Hopefully one of plumbing experts will be able to help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back