Lukewarm downstairs Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks.

I need some help! I've looked around these boards and there's nothing that matches my problem.

We had a conservatory added in the summer which included a new radiator. Until now we've never even switched it on. Now we've tried it doesn't get anywhere near hot enough to warm the room.

The radiator was tapped into the existing system and is now the furthest rad from the boiler. The one next to it is working perfectly. The inlet pipe to the new rad is normally hot. The top of the rad is normally quite cold but with the system being on 18hrs/day over the holiday it is now quite warm. The bottom is stone cold. The outlet pipe is cold also. There is no airlock. We had other problems with the system in the Autumn which resulted in a new pump and thermo being installed.

The rad has a Optima valve with settings 1-5. I've tried settings 1 and 5 but it makes no difference. When grabbing the whole valve I'm able to twist it and it can click into 3 different positions. I haven't got a clue what this does.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Adrian

Sponsored Links
Balancing required!! particularly on the two rads immediately before the conservatory one.

Had exactly the same problem myself in my conservatory. Added an extra rad, quite a large one. Its on 10 mm microbore pipework.

Wasn't getting hot enough, so closed all lockshield valves on other radiators and opened each one half a turn. Keep all valves on problem rad fully open. Worked a treat!

Had exactly the same problem myself in my conservatory. Added an extra rad, quite a large one. Its on 10 mm microbore pipework.

Wasn't getting hot enough, so closed all lockshield valves on other radiators and opened each one half a turn. Keep all valves on problem rad fully open. Worked a treat!

A little more refinrment is preferable but you have the jist ok!!

Sponsored Links
Are you allowed to put rads in conservatory's :rolleyes:

Its a dining room with the wall knocked out and a conservatory added on.

Can't see a problem with that.

As it is your conservatory and you want to do what you want to do, you wouldn't see a problem with it!! Would you?!

To be exempt from Building regs two of the criteria of the conservatory are that it is not permanently heated ie it is not heated from the central heating system but instead uses individual electric heaters, for example.
It should be seperated from the house by a proper door or patio window.

So if you couldn't see aproblem before there's two for you. Unless you choose to flout the rules or apply for planning permission. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back