Lukewarm water from cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a problem with a cylinder (below) that only seems to produce lukewarm water :

The water pipe going into the cylinder from the boiler system (shown below) is red hot when the hot water is switched on :

But the pipe at the top of the cylinder is only lukewarm to touch :

I'm not DIY expert but know for sure that we don't have a combi boiler. Its a conventional boiler I think.

The water has been lukewarm for about the last week. I used to keep the thermostat on the side of the cylinder at about 55 degrees. Turning it up to 65 has made no difference.

Has anyone got any ideas about why my hot water would be lukewarm ?Radiators are hot. The pipe into the cylinder is hot so I don't think its a boiler / 3 way valve. Its just the water out that's the problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the overflow from the tank in the loft running? and has any one touched the red valve at the bottom of the cylinder ? (right hand side)

Is the overflow from the tank in the loft running? and has any one touched the red valve at the bottom of the cylinder ? (right hand side)

No one has touched the red valve.

How do I check if the overflow tank is running....?

There will be a pipe coming out probably near the roof and the water will be running out of it, normally hard to miss, if your still unsure go into the loft and you will hear the tank filling even when you havent used any taps ect

Sponsored Links
There will be a pipe coming out probably near the roof and the water will be running out of it, normally hard to miss, if your still unsure go into the loft and you will hear the tank filling even when you havent used any taps ect

Do you mean the tank should be filling constantly or only when the heating is on ?

What about that motorised valve (grey box on the right)?

Turn on the boiler then turn the cylinder 'stat down, then up and listen for a zzzzz sound as the synchronous motor opens the valve to admit pumped water into the coil. If nothing happens the motor may have died, which is common enough and easy to fix. See Google for instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back