LVT or Engineered Oak over a Wet UFH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are trying to decide on LVT or Engineered Oak over a Wet UFH in the kitchen.

The floor is 50% suspended concrete, 50% suspended timber
There is no insulation under the concrete.

We want to minimise the buildup, as we don't want a huge step between rooms and at the bottom of the stairs (not sure if this will affect building regs if we ever sell)

Thoughts
LVT is lower buildup overall
LVT is warmer under feet?
LVT being thinner will transfer UFH heat into the room quicker?

Engineered Wood is more resistance to wear from kids as you can sand and or oil/laquer it?
Engineered Wood looks nicer/most expensive? (ok probably very subjective)

What are your thoughts?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
engineered oak, being solid timber will transfer heat more slowly, so I'd be tempted to go for the Vinyl.

I assume you are using the underfloor heating as a primary heat source?

Wet is economical to run, but bear in mind it wont be all that efficient without insulation underneath. I would check to make sure you will achieve the heat you require for the room.

Can you insulate the wood section in between rafters?

Thanks we are looking to lay about 20mm insulation on the concrete, then the boards that take the pipes.
For the wood floor we are looking to lay insulation between the joists then the same to match levels.
If the floor is in zones will I be able to balance the heat across the floor?

I am swaying to LVT, though as I have never had it or seen friends with it and remember the laminate from Uni days in the 90's I'm not totally swayed.

Sponsored Links
To be honest LVT’s have come a long way in the past few years.
If you have a look at Moduleo impress and distinctive flooring you will see some realistic wood affect flooring.
The Moduleo is hard to scratch as have that at home at 2 young kids.

Also take a look at quickstep impressive laminate. Great product. Water proof Laminate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back