Flooring for UFH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are converting a double garage 5.5x5.5m and will have a high vaulted ceiling as we are removing the room above.

I'm keen to heat the room with wet UFH as this is cost effective for the size compared to electric and the uniform radiant heat should be better than convected heat escaping upwards from rads.

Where I'm totally stuck is flooring as all options seem to have strong pros and cons.

Porcelain tiles are always named as the best type for UFH, they are hard wearing and fade proof but my concern is how homely or cold they feel when UFH is off.

LVT such as Karndean will be much softer and warmer without the UFH but is it a good choice with the UFH? I'm also concerned it might appear less premium in finish.

Engineered wood comes less recommended with UFH but is perhaps the best of both worlds for natural warmth and premium finish.

What would you do????

Sponsored Links
My floor almost matches room temperature when it is turned off, I think having insulation under the screed helps. It might help too that I have anhydrite screed? I have wood effect ceramic tiles as a floor finish. The heat of the floor is quite low when in use so I would be inclined to think ceramic suits it better if you like the warm feet feel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back