MacArthur's Shed.

How shocking Ban that she could sell out to a "shed" as you call them, just to be able to finance a sailing trip. ;)

Sponsored Links
Rider said:
pipme said:
2d 8h Ahead of Joyon ----- 31 Jan 2005 - 12:36

Blimey, 20+ Knots -- sailing a B&Q shed !!

Some adverse weather ahead tho, still touch and go !!

;)
You sure it's a B&Q shed? It could be a mobile store. I can just picture someone pulling alongside and asking Ellen for a box of number 6 screws and a couple of light-switches ;)

It is big enough --- with large gaps - between the business parts !! ;)

pipme said:
Our Ellen is off sailing 'the Bl##dy Qwik shed' around the world !! ;)

Correction, she has finished and broken the record. Well done.

http://www.teamellen.com/ellen.asp?artid=100
Sport-Telegraph
Around the world markers
1876/77: First circumnavigation by a yacht - Lord Brassey (GB) in Sunbeam.
1895/98: First solo around the world voyage (with stops) - Joshua Slocum (US) in Spray.
1966/67: First solo one-stop - Sir Francis Chichester (GB) in Gypsy Moth IV.
1968/69: First solo non-stop, 313 days - Sir Robin Knox-Johnston (GB) in Suhaili.
1970/71: First solo non-stop 'wrong way' westabout circumnavigation, 293 days - Sir Chay Blyth (GB) in British Steel.
1977/78: First solo by a woman (with stops) - Krystyna Chojnowska-Liskiewicz (Poland).
1985/86: Solo non-stop, 150 days - Dodge Morgan (US) in American Promise.
1987/88: First solo non-stop by a woman, 189 days - Kay Cottee (Australia) in First Lady.
1989/90: Solo non-stop in Vendee Globe race, 109 days - Titouan Lamazou (France) in Ecureuil d'Aquitaine II.
1993/4: Fully-crewed multihull for Jules Verne Trophy, 79 days - Bruno Peyon (France).
2000/01: Solo non-stop in Vendee Globe, 93 days - Michel Desjoyeaux (France) in PRB.
2002: Fully-crewed multihull for Jules Verne Trophy, 64 days - Bruno Peyron (France).
2004: Solo non-stop, 73 days - Francis Joyon (France) in IDEC.
2005: Solo non-stop, 71 days 14 hours 18 minutes and 33 seconds, - Ellen MacAurthur in B&Q.

View from the top 98 feet, climbed this twice for repairs -- alone !!

_40768037_upthemast.jpg
_40801785_ellen300.jpg

Sponsored Links
Truly a great achievement, however I read that she (Ellen) is unlikely to make the huge spondulicks that other sports persons make due to the rather unglamarous nature of her sport.

She is quite simply 'different class' compared to the football pseuds . ..
A fitting ambassador to GB and a credit to her parents,sponsers (well done Kingfisher Plc --- an excellent piece of DIY), team, and most of all herself ;)
I am certain she will do ok for herself ..... talk circuit ... etc
Hang on !! This isn't the rugger team aspiring once then disintegrating --- Ellen is far from finished yet ......... Sheer class !!
P

I know that many will scoff at the senselessness of the event, but what an achievement and inspiration.
On the subject of earnings others will say that she didn't score any goals or dive for a penalty, no comparison.

....I know that many will scoff at the senselessness of the event...
Given the debt mountain and booze culture in this country, I think senseless is, as senseless does .... ;)

Sponsored Links
Back