MacArthur's Shed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Ellen is off sailing 'the Bl##dy Qwik shed' around the world !! ;)

Correction, she has finished and broken the record. Well done.

http://www.teamellen.com/ellen.asp?artid=100
Sport-Telegraph
Around the world markers
1876/77: First circumnavigation by a yacht - Lord Brassey (GB) in Sunbeam.
1895/98: First solo around the world voyage (with stops) - Joshua Slocum (US) in Spray.
1966/67: First solo one-stop - Sir Francis Chichester (GB) in Gypsy Moth IV.
1968/69: First solo non-stop, 313 days - Sir Robin Knox-Johnston (GB) in Suhaili.
1970/71: First solo non-stop 'wrong way' westabout circumnavigation, 293 days - Sir Chay Blyth (GB) in British Steel.
1977/78: First solo by a woman (with stops) - Krystyna Chojnowska-Liskiewicz (Poland).
1985/86: Solo non-stop, 150 days - Dodge Morgan (US) in American Promise.
1987/88: First solo non-stop by a woman, 189 days - Kay Cottee (Australia) in First Lady.
1989/90: Solo non-stop in Vendee Globe race, 109 days - Titouan Lamazou (France) in Ecureuil d'Aquitaine II.
1993/4: Fully-crewed multihull for Jules Verne Trophy, 79 days - Bruno Peyon (France).
2000/01: Solo non-stop in Vendee Globe, 93 days - Michel Desjoyeaux (France) in PRB.
2002: Fully-crewed multihull for Jules Verne Trophy, 64 days - Bruno Peyron (France).
2004: Solo non-stop, 73 days - Francis Joyon (France) in IDEC.
2005: Solo non-stop, 71 days 14 hours 18 minutes and 33 seconds, - Ellen MacAurthur in B&Q.

Sponsored Links
Pip, did you go see the Gypsy Moth in london when it was displayed after the record? i was young and went with my dad and can't quite remember the venue, any idea?

KD said :-
... i was young and went with my dad...
Oh God I was early twenties then, two years into first mortgage !!! I did not see her in London.
Sure I saw her in Torbay and in Weymouth too, but cannot swear to that
What an achievement that was for Sir Francis Chichester a storybook hero I reckon .. he was knighted with Francis Drake's sword, by the Queen at Greenwich. !! very cool that.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/28/newsid_2495000/2495799.stm
I must read his books sometime.
P

Crossed the 'date line', she is flying !! 2 days and 12 hrs ahead of record!
Distance sailed so far: 14,640 miles at an average speed of 17.4 knots.

http://www.teamellen.com/ellen.asp?artid=100

WHY IS THIS RECORD SO EXCEPTIONAL...
1800+ people have reached the summit of Everest...*
450+ people have been in space...**
12 astronauts have stepped on the moon...**
Only 5 solo sailors have attempted to race around the globe non-stop on multihulls (the fastest and most extreme boats on the oceans) in pursuit of a new world record...
Only 1 sailor succeeded to go the distance non-stop...
Ellen MacArthur will become the next sailor to attempt this world record - the youngest in history to take on the challenge...
Ellen will push the boundaries of what is possible at sea and to push her own limits beyond those she has ever known before...

Guess we all have a better idea of sea power now, perhaps also a tiny hint of the staggering achievment for this young BRIT thus far ....
:)

Sponsored Links
It is impressive stuff. I'd rather walk on the moon though... ;)

I recall a friend's Birchwood cabin cruiser, in Portland harbour area, calm sea, two of us at the pulpit to keep the bow down, running balls out, just shading 20 Knts ... Felt much faster great wake etc ...... Mac has been AVERAGING 18 knts journying halfway around the world through pretty hefty seas, in a yacht !! -- A great way to finish would be on water skis between two adjacent hulls - oooer !! That would confirm either lunacy or superwoman or both !! I bet there are no B&Q fittings on board ;)

Still flying !! 10k miles to go .....
4 days 18 hrs 47 min
AHEAD OF JOYON

P

The 'Shed'. With the hammer down.
Near 5 day lead, approaching Cape Horn, turn left, then all up hill ;)
Crikey - a fair bit of water slopping around at the Earth's nether regions.
P

sendimgaspect.asp

5 days ahead !! --- Water skiing anyone ?

P

BEHIND JOYON (10 miles) 24 Jan 2005 - 10:10

The doldrums in more ways than one !! How frustrating !

P

2d 8h Ahead of Joyon ----- 31 Jan 2005 - 12:36

Blimey, 20+ Knots -- sailing a B&Q shed !!

Some adverse weather ahead tho, still touch and go !!

;)

3d 10hr ahead --- But tis only 700 miles, still finely balanced with High pressure system looming ahead .... Wednesday next is the deadline day ... Ellen thinks perhaps Monday but fingers crossed !!
Looks a pretty lonely place -- all uphill too !!
0502011240_1.jpg

pipme said:
2d 8h Ahead of Joyon ----- 31 Jan 2005 - 12:36

Blimey, 20+ Knots -- sailing a B&Q shed !!

Some adverse weather ahead tho, still touch and go !!

;)
You sure it's a B&Q shed? It could be a mobile store. I can just picture someone pulling alongside and asking Ellen for a box of number 6 screws and a couple of light-switches ;)

Sponsored Links
Back