Macerator and drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice?

I'm having to install a toilet macerator (I realise the opinions and have come to accept that these are the work of the devil, but in this case a necessary evil)

My question is quite simple... Essentially the main drainage pipe is totally inaccessible.

Coming from the macerator is 22mm pipe which is solvent welded. This runs for about 2m. It then becomes a 40mm pipe and slopes off into the main stack about another 3 m away. Unfortunately the main stack is totally inaccessible (beneath a glued down hardwood floor) and the 40mm piece of pipe joins through a 90 degree pushfit joint.

I understand that ideally I should only use solvent welded joints... But given the access problems, I wonder if because the diameter of the pipe is increasing from 22mm to 40mm it might be okay in this instance as there shouldn't be much pressure at that final joint?

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Have a go. If it doesn't work, you'll just have to clean up the mess and then use a solvent welded joint!

As what he ^ said.

You could get away with one push fit bend as long as its a swept bend,not to old,not already leaking,not leaked in the past,not bodged up,supported,assembled correctly,not partially blocked already,soil connection is 100%clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you rig up a brace so that the pushfit elbow and pipe is locked between two fixed points and cannot be worked loose, over time, by repeated on and off pump pressure from the macerator, which can result in popping off.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you are replacing the macerator rather than installing from scratch. I agree with much all of the above especially re the push-fit being old. If the 22mm is the vertical section with the 40mm push-fit at the very top then the pressure there will be at it`s greatest however if it is at the end of the run near the stack then there is next to no pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back