Macerators - saniflo or other.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At the risk of starting off the rants, I have to admit I am looking at using a macerator to allow me to put a downstairs cloak room/utility room in.

I would like a WC, a sink and a washing machine to go in. The standard answer from saniflo is that I need saniplus/pro (or similar) to handle the wc and sink, and a sanivate for the washing machine. Obviously is em e is bad, two is worse (and obviously far more expensive!)

So can anyone offer any alternative options (non saniflo makes?) and also, can someone tell me why I can plumb the washing machine waste into the same pipe work as the sink?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me,

Chris

Sponsored Links
can someone tell me why I can plumb the washing machine waste into the same pipe work as the sink?
It's only waste water. Why would you not be allowed? They all end up in a 4" soil/drainage pipe before it leaves your property. You can run bath, basin, bog, sink, washing machine, dish washer, condensate into the same pipework.

It's a basin, BTW. Sink - kitchen, basin - bath/shower/cloak room.

can someone tell me why I can plumb the washing machine waste into the same pipe work as the sink?
For normal waste pipes, you can.

The problem with using a Saniflo for a washing machine is that the waste water will inevitably contain fibres from the fabric that is being washed, and these fibres will tend to block the macerator, causing it to fail even more quickly than usual.
The Sanivite is a pump only, so does not have that problem.

Sanivites are also suggested for showers as the hair washed down the plughole will jam the macerator in the same way.

Sponsored Links
If you do run a 'pump' separately for the shower you could try one of the ones designed for disabled showers.
(Actually they're designed for pumping bilges of boats.)
15mm pipe in, 22mm out. 12v or 24v. Sometimes available on Ebay.
New pump only, around 80 quid. Second hand kits can be had for about that, including transformer and trap.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHLEXIFLO...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item3a83c60284
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHOWER-WA..._Bathroom_Shower_Units_PP&hash=item4ac810aa36

Whale_Gulper_220__09714_zoom.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back