Magic Eye Amplifier & Splitting Issues!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I need some help with something that I have to say is doing my head in!!!!

I have fitted probably 20 magic eyes in the past 10 years in houses and flats that I have owned and have had the usual problems (poor connections, red light not coming on, fuzzy picture etc....) which I have always been able to deal with. I have also managed to split and amplify the signal by using a 'One for All' aerial booster (SV-9542R00).

However I am trying to do the same for my parents and I am having issues with splitting and boosting the signal.

I have done all of the checks on the connections and the 3 TV's that I am trying to connect to when used independently work OK - essentially when I connect 1 of the TV's directly into the RF2 connector on the SKY+ HD box it works, the light is on and I can change the channel over.

However when I use the splitter/amplifier the LED lights on all Magic eyes stays on but the picture quality is awful and I cannot change the Sky channel.

I have tried my trusted 'One for All' which didn't work (I also tried the one from my own house which works fine but this still didn't work). I then went and bought an SLX 4 way aerial amplifier with Digital BY-pass and this still didn't work.

Can anybody suggest anything?????

Many Thanks.

Sanj.

Sponsored Links
Fuzzy picture + Sky eye not responding sounds like a short on one of the TV lines. Check the plugs and connectors.

LED staying on soulds like it's getting a constant IR signal. Is one of the TVs a plasma, or do you have some other source of infra red in one of the rooms?

I thought he meant some sort of confirmation LED that IR is being received, not the power supply LED... Doh! lol

Sponsored Links
Are you using an external power supply? I have been OK using the power from a Sky box for a 2-way splitting amplifier, but more than that required an external power brick to keep a decent signal on the TV's

Yes I am - The SLX 4 Way Aerial Amplifier plugs in to boost the signal.
I am going to review Sam Gangee's link now so hopefully will get some answers. It is still not working!!!!!
Thanks all.

Nope nothing in the link that I havent already done!! I dont want to buy another amplifier and end up with the same result - The SLX should work but clearly doesnt. Not sure what to do next. Can anybody help???!!!
Ta.

More than likely a short on a cable. It only takes one strand of the braid in contact with the dielectric to cause the symptoms you describe. Try disconnecting one cable at a time and see if the other screens work. I would not recommend slx or labgear kit or one for all tbh. Antiferance have a decent range of domestic kit that works very well indeed.

It only takes one strand of the braid in contact with the dielectric to cause the symptoms you describe.
Nonsense. The dielectric plastic is an insulator and the braid is supposed to be in contact with it. It's wrapped round it.

If you meant to write "centre conductor" I'd point out that the LED is lit, indicating voltage, so there can't be a short on the cable feeding the "magic eye" from the amplifier. It would have to be on the input fed to the amplifier.

Yeah ok my bad. I meant the core. But even though there is power to the eyes doesn't mean their can't be a strand or two of braid touching the core. I've seen it happen before and cause precisely the symptoms the op described. Easy way to tell is to disconnect the cable both ends and do a continuity test.

Believe me; it can't happen as you describe. As soon as a strand of braid touches the core it shorts the power supply, which shuts down, and the LED goes out. You can't have voltage across a short-circuit. More likely your errant strand was not touching the core but was displaced in such a way that it was causing a serious impedance mismatch. That could have a bad effect at UHF frequencies. However, it wouldn't stop the low-frequency signals from the magic eye.

Sam Gangee - Do you think any of these books will work? Everywhere I have been looking I get the same advice to check all connections etc.......
Is doing my head in!!!!!
Thanks in advance.

I guess you didn't want to risk 45p. While you've been wondering, the price of the "Magic Eye Guide" has gone back up to £1.45 from the 45p special offer price. :unsure:

I haven't been wondering I have been out the country and not able to take advantage of the offer!!
Doesn't matter if it is 45p or £45 if it doesn't work what is the point and that was the reason for me asking your advice on whether you know if these books will give me anything that I haven't been told before.
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back