Magnaclean leak from cap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps

I have a leak on my magna clean two it's appears to be coming from the seal I think the o ring has gone. I am looking for a plumber to come out on Thursday but until then my boiler pressure keeps dropping .

Is it safe for me to put PTFE tape around the thread to stop it leaking temporarily ????? Sorry if a silly question

Attachments

• 1675195965102225522356068842775.jpg
    1675195965102225522356068842775.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Check the condition of the seals, it may just need cleaned and some silicone grease applied. These plastic fibre containers/lids can be a nightmare as the threads on the lids can jam before they tighten enough or when it comes to removing them, either that or they are overtightened, that over compresses the seal and then with expansion/contraction the seals starts to weep.

I always grease the threads lightly so they're not a nightmare when it comes to servicing.

either that or they are overtightened
I seen one last week Rab, think it was a Fernox TF model not really sure but the lid and body had 2 yellow little arrows on and a blue one on the body, you tighten to the blue and it has an X then tighten a little bit to the yellow and it has a tick so when both yellows line up dont tighten any more, some of the simplest ideas are the best, fed up having to competely remove a magnetic filter just to get the cap off :evil:

Sponsored Links
I seen one last week Rab, think it was a Fernox TF model not really sure but the lid and body had 2 yellow little arrows on and a blue one on the body, you tighten to the blue and it has an X then tighten a little bit to the yellow and it has a tick so when both yellows line up dont tighten any more, some of the simplest ideas are the best, fed up having to competely remove a magnetic filter just to get the cap off :evil:
You're so tight @ianmcd , as you say it isn't rocket science to ensure these filters can be serviced properly, especially if they're going to use the plastic fibrous type materials they make them from. The texture reminds me of the old bakelite stuff, the way the threads bite together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back