Magnaclean - leaking out of air vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently installed a Magnaclean professional to the return pipe on my combi boiler but it appears to be leaking. When i first installed it, it leaked out of the air vent pin and as such Magnaclean sent a new pro-fill air vent which i installed. It now no longer leaks when this pin is in place but when it's removed a steady trickle of water comes out - i believe this isn't supposed to happen?

FYI when i remove the pin from the air vent i have the combi boiler off and both isolation valves open. Is this correct?

Please let me know if it seems the Magnaclean is faulty or if i'm doing something wrong?

Sponsored Links
Is this a wind up :eek: Of course water will leak out of the vewnt when you undo the pin thats to let the air out, when it starts getting wet, you screw the pin back in!! and if the 2 isolating valves are closed don't expect the radiators to get hot will you!!! :confused:

sorry boilerman, it's faulty. It's a dosing point which is supposed to self seal as you undo the nipple further. It's only in the first turn or two that it should be letting anything out.

Is this a wind up :eek: Of course water will leak out of the vewnt when you undo the pin thats to let the air out, when it starts getting wet, you screw the pin back in!! and if the 2 isolating valves are closed don't expect the radiators to get hot will you!!! :confused:

When the pin is completely removed i was under the impression that there was a ball bearing that blocks anymore water from coming out on this "pro-fill" air vent. This allows it to be used as a dosing point.

If i'm wrong on this please let me know. I get the impression that you're thinking of it as a radiator air vent though.

Regarding ths isolation valves i was only mentioning that i was wondering if i should close one of them off to stop some of the flow when using the Magnaclean as a dosing point.

Sponsored Links
sorry boilerman, it's faulty. It's a dosing point which is supposed to self seal as you undo the nipple further. It's only in the first turn or two that it should be letting anything out.

Thanks sooey. Being the first time i've done this kind of DIY i just wanted to check i wasn't going to sound silly when i phone them up again. :) Having two faulty air vents seems a bit unlucky.

Out of interest, I know that the Magnaclean can be used as a dosing point but do you have to use a certain type of fitting for connecting onto it and do you have to use a certain make of er.....dosing liquid :confused:

Sorry guys, I mistook your supadoopa magna with a standard one I always use the standard one as a dosing pot, just take off the top, a sponge soon emptys the pot, and it just about takes a 500ml bottle of jollop so I have never used the unit you describe, please accept my apology :oops:

Thats cool boilerman because only mugs use that aerosol stuff, twice as expensive as normal containers professionals buy liquid in bulk and then feed the system as necessary
I use the same system as yourself only ever used the top to bleed any air out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back