Air in Magnaclean Filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My open vent system was converted to a sealed one a few weeks ago. A Magnaclean was also fitted on the flow side, after the heating zone valve( not an ideal position but there was no space available on the return circuit).

Following the conversion, I noticed the pressure dropping regularly and the air build up inside the Magnaclean filter indicating a leak somewhere. Because of the constant corrosion and sludge build up in the old system, it was suggested that there were old leaks that went unnoticed due to the good old F & E tank. Also there was damp smell in one of the rooms on ground floor.

The entire ground floor pipework buried underfloor has now been replaced with a new overground layout. Since then I have not noticed any drops in pressure and system seems to work. However, I am troubled by air still accumulating in the Magnaclean bottle. This air eventually ends up in one of the radiators, albeit less frequently.

The boiler is a Gloworm Flexicom (heat only).

Any clues as to the cause of air problems. Could it be related to the siting of Magnaclean filter which ideally should be at the return side of the last radiator. Although Magnaclean say it can fitted anywhere in the system?

Sponsored Links
Thanks oilhead for your response.

If the sealed system is not supposed to let any air inside, then as you said, there may be another small leak somewhere else.

Having eliminated the ground floor circuit, any long term leaks in the first floor pipework would have shown up through drips or stains in the ceilings.
Judging by the amount of sludge in the system, any other leaks have to be there for many years.

Unless there is another explanation like a leaking joint in the hot water cylinder coil.

Are you sure it's air? It could be hydrogen gas building up if system water isn't treated properly. The manga clean might as well not be fitted imho as its not protecting the boiler. Other possibilities are weeping joints that could pull air into system rather than leak water out??

Sponsored Links
You have not told us what pressure you are filling to when cold?

Why was no inhibitor added?

Tony

Thanks guys for your interest.
Are you sure it's air?
Come to think of it, it could very well be hydrogen gas; it smells like it anyway.

As heating modifications were not complete, the system has very little inhibitor in it at the moment. I was planning to flush it and top it as soon as I was sure of no leaks.

Initially I was filling it up to 1bar (cold). I have now reduced it to about 1/2 bar to see any difference.

Flush it properly with chems and treat with inhibitors after making sure no leaks. If you can get the magna clean on the return. Badly sludges system can produce loads of gas.
Cheers

If the system is still dirty, you could add some X400 to loosen the sludge. You will be amazed and delighted at how much the Magnaclean traps, it works quickly, so empty it once a week until the sludge dies down.

When the captured amount reduces to just a smear, I reckon you can double the time interval between cleans each time you empty it, until it is only once a year. You will get a sudden load each time you work on or disturb anything, and in winter the first time you turn on the CH.

If the system is still dirty, you could add some X400 to loosen the sludge.
The Magnaclean filter has been trapping loose metal debris but the rest is sticking to the pipe and radiator surfaces. Maybe when some of it becomes loose, it is caught by the filter.

I was told the best way to loosen all that is get power flushing.

There are other brands of cleaners that are cheaper than X400. Any comments on their efficiency.

If there were any possibility of the system sucking air in then this would be reduced with a higher pressure.

Set it to 1.5 Bar when cold and see what effect that has.

Tony

If there were any possibility of the system sucking air in then this would be reduced with a higher pressure.

Set it to 1.5 Bar when cold and see what effect that has.

Tony
Thanks for that Tony, I will try that.

An update.
It is late but it might help others with similar problems.

In the end it was the expansion vessel that was over inflated. (I remember the installer's assistant pumping it up).

I reduced the pressure to 1.5, as specified on the label and since then there have been no drop in the pressure gauge.

Problem solved.
Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back