MAGNACLEAN FILTER QUESTION

Sponsored Links
it looks like an updated Spirovent in prettier colours!

I'm talking about the water-water HE which is far more commonly affected by debris.

The thread is about both heat Xs

If the OP's system is cleaned (c/w Magnaclean), the primary gas-water HE is no longer at enough risk to go to the lengths you're suggesting for an 18 year old combi.

He has a "new" heat exchanger, and when the boiler is replaced the plate heat X isolating the boiler still fully protects the new boiler, allowing full flow etc. It also allows TRVs on all rads.

It creates a primary loop and secondary variable flow loop, as in commercial systems, but with both being isolated from each other. Think of the plate heat X on the CH circuit like a vertical header, but much smaller and and instant.

Every engineer knows the method of CH transfer through a plate HE. It's also commonly used abroad where open vent boilers can be linked indirectly to sealed systems. It's unecessary in the OP's case and another example of something you've read for the first time a thought you'd try to be clever with.

It is clear you are intimidated by my knowledge. If you want to keep matter out of the boiler filters can do that. Spirovent and Magnaclean are both around £100, and offer nothing but filtering. You need to use both to be sure. That is £200. The plate heat X offers so much more, I highlighted them for you, and protects the boiler too. I would rather fit the plate Heat X, Smart pump and TRVs all around. Fuel saving and levels of comfort improved too. A big winner all around.

If the OP cleans the system and protects it, the primary HE is unlikely to block.

Until it is neglected again.

Sponsored Links
It is possible to fit a nylon gauze filter on the taps of the Magnaclean, if you do this, you have to remember to take them off regularly and clean them, or they will get clogged and cause a blockage :eek:
You've almost said it yourself, John, but fitting an in-line filter that can block is an extremely bad design, because it relies on unscheduled maintenance (by someone who's aware of the weirdness) in order to ensure that the system doesn't damage itself.

An electrical analogy would be to wire an entire installation using oversize cable and the CPC connected to the phase of the supply, then require the owner and anyone who maintains the system to remember in time.

Until it is neglected again.

The same can be said for your remote plate HE.

No it can't. It adds great value to the system, and can be unscrewed in minutes and cleaned if necessary. Even if it required replacing hat is a simple DIY job, which changing a gas-water heat exchanger is not, and that is a very expensive undertaking. The boiler will last and last.

You really should think sometimes instead of trying to make out you are cleverer than what you are. You do yourself no favours.

I'm curious, Bigburner - do you think DIY gas work should be legalised?

It is possible to fit a nylon gauze filter on the taps of the Magnaclean, if you do this, you have to remember to take them off regularly and clean them, or they will get clogged and cause a blockage :eek:
You've almost said it yourself, John, but fitting an in-line filter that can block is an extremely bad design, because it relies on unscheduled maintenance (by someone who's aware of the weirdness) in order to ensure that the system doesn't damage itself.

The new Senitel filter looks good. A bit pricey though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back