Magnaclean twintech

Yes, the boiler heats the thermal store directly and the CH is the same water but gets circulated to and from the store via the CH pump. So, yes, it looks like I need to follow your instructions about the X-100.

I liked the look of the Magnaclean Twin Tec, but haven't looked into the others much yet...

Cheers....

Apologies if I have hi-jacked someone's thread... maybe the moderator can split it out into a separate thread or something.. Have to excuse me but I'm relatively new to this forum stuff....

When fitting the filter you might want to put a 1/4 turn full bore valve on the CH flow & return to the cylinder. This will isolated the CH loop or cylinder for maintenance.

Sponsored Links
That makes good logical sense, saves having to drain down all the rads to work on the boiler or tank.

Don't suppose I could do that with the oil boiler as well?

I know I can't with the wood stove.

That makes good logical sense, saves having to drain down all the rads to work on the boiler or tank.

Don't suppose I could do that with the oil boiler as well?

I know I can't with the wood stove.

It can be done for the boiler as well. I would take the valve levers off on the boiler, to avoid them being turned off by mistake.

Sponsored Links
So Goldberg as you have fitted both. On performance wise between the twintech and spirotech, which one captured more dirt?
Also the twintech gauze does it capture any dirt or is it too coarse?

...... I would take the valve levers off on the boiler, to avoid them being turned off by mistake.

Good move.

While you are at it. Some thermals store makers will put a Wilo Smart or Grundfos Alpha pump on the CH loop at request. (the Wlio is £48 from S/fix) This means TRVs can be on all rads and no central room stat. If you have a fixed speed pump you can use that as a spare for the boiler. The stat will need to be linked out at the boiler or junction box. If a by-pass is fitted on the CH loop after the pump, tighten it down or best remove it.

but if you have no room stat, the boiler will be firing from time to time and heating itself up even if all rooms are hot and TRVs closed. This is not energy efficient, is it?

So Goldberg as you have fitted both. On performance wise between the twintech and spirotech, which one captured more dirt?
I can't say which because I didn't run a controlled test, i.e. there's no such thing as two identically polluted systems of identical layout.

Also the twintech gauze does it capture any dirt or is it too coarse?
I find the suggestion that it's too coarse some somewhat fatuous, because it's a product with a large install base and it isn't plausible that the gauze catches no "dirt" at all. In my experience, it does, but I strongly recommend that if you don't trust it then don't buy one.

do you find the Spiro collects much black sludge?

Yes - it keeps collecting it for as long as there is some to remove.

but if you have no room stat, the boiler will be firing from time to time and heating itself up even if all rooms are hot and TRVs closed. This is not energy efficient, is it?

No it will not. It keeps a reserve of heat, a store. That is why it is called a thermal store. It heats the store in one long burn, then stops. The rad loop can then use this heat to inject heat into the loop, as little as a fraction of a kilowatt.

PeedOftec, this forum has a lot of noise. I have noticed simple threads can go on and on because of posters who contribute absolutely nothing.

back again drivel? :rolleyes:

free DANGERMOUSE
Exactly how is your post in any way relevant, or helpful, or constructive, or supportive, or anything except unprovoked persecution?

morrismini is correct - if boiler demand is controlled not by a room thermostat, but by a heat store with sufficient margin in the store's target temperature, then energy efficiency is increased, not reduced.

Exactly how is your post in any way relevant, or helpful, or constructive, or supportive, or anything except unprovoked persecution?

by warning the lesser informed readers who the trolls are ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back