Magnaclean versus Spirovent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and apologies in advance if I use the wrong terminology

I am getting a "sealed unvented system with expansion vessel and new boiler put in at home

One of my friends has offered me a spirovent combined dirt separator and aerator free of charge which is obviously very decent of him and also very appealing !

However my heating engineer hasn't really got much experience of these (probably because they are stil mainly used in industrial settings I suspect) and is encouraging me to fit a magnaclean which he'll supply and fit for 85 quid plus vat approximately

Can anyone give me any steers-oviously its not huge amounts of cash and although any savings would be good more importantly I'd like to fit the "best option"

Sponsored Links
Magna clean appear to be the product leaders with ease of removal and also easy to add inhibitor to the system via the cannister.
Never heard of the other one you mention.
Pete

I know nothing about the Sprirovent but strongly recomend a magnaclean.

I am not a CH Engineer.

have a look at the "similar topics" at the bottom of this page.

Thanks chaps

I suppose the problem is the general lack of familiarity with spirovent-my mate acknowledges that they are not widely utilised in domestic settings

I suppose I also want to know whether there is really a need to put a magnaclean or similar in with a sealed unvented system??

The rads etc are all fairly old (>19 years at least I suspect) and not all getting replaced so does that influence things ??

Sponsored Links
Try looking at:-

http://www.spirovent.co.uk/dirt.swf

The Magnaclean only traps magnetic particles but does so very effectively.

If you have a Spirovent your installer will still charge something for fitting it.

His price to supply and fit the Magnaclean is very reasonable.

The advantage of the Spirovent is that it traps all dirt so I would sugest if you have it and the installer does not charge too much to fit it than use it. make sure he fits the isolation valves so it can be cleaned. I have seen many filters fitted without them!

Tony

if the rads are old, they will have generated quite a lot of black sediment which will have hidden itself in nooks and crannies. No cleaning gets it all out, but the magnaclean traps the residue as soon as it gets loose and starts to circulate.

Personally i find the magnaclean to look rubbish and be cheap quality, which is why i fit the fernox boiler buddy (find customers like the idea of seeing all the dirt they are trapping and can easily see when it needs a clean) but if you've got the spirovent use it.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the Magnaclean looks a substantial piece of kit.

The spirovent is a dirt trap and auto air valve. The vent is a useful function, but the dirt trap only works if the water is free from detergent like chemicals, which includes corrosion inhibitor, so the Magnaclean is a better choice. As for Boiler buddy, any clear plastic will degrade noticeably, and so it will look tatty faster than black plastic,

make sure the system is flushed well and go for the magnaclean £85 seems very reasonable.

Be aware all you magnaclean fans that it only traps magnetic debris!

I always fit a gauze filter on the outlet to trap everything. It surprises me that Chris does not supply them with his kit.

Fitted one today by chance!

Tony

do you have to take the Magnaclean canister off its connections to change the gauze filter?

I suppose if someone didn't know a gauze filter had been added, it would eventually clog up.

A filter sleeve that lifted out with the head would be very convenient

Its less than a minute to undo the connections to the plastic body.

In any case I prefer to do that to wash out the whole container.

Its about 45 minutes to remove and casually clean a blocked plate!

Tony

well if it is free then i would take it, i can see no harm in having one, but i would still have the magnaclean as well.

its what we are fitting with every system now with BG. it is very good and easy to clean. 85 is a bargain as BG s about 200

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back