Magnacleanse, are they any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm wanting to know what people think of the magnacleanse systems for flushing the central heating.

I ask as my in laws had a new boiler fitted 4 weeks ago and the system was cleaned with this type of machine, after 2 weeks the boiler was making very loud droning noises, the installer came out and had a look and suggested it was the heat exchanger, with it having a 2 year warranty he passed it on to baxi who sent out Heateam to replace it.

The Heateam engineer (young lad about 24) replaced the heat exchanger and tried again, it was still noisy, he then replaced the burner and the fan, still noisy.

2 days later a senior Heateam engineer came out to investigate (older bloke 45-50) he listened to the noise and said to the young lad did you check the magna clean filter" no was the response, he removed the filter and opened it up it was full of black thick sludge.

Obviously when he put it back the boiler ran as it should the heateam engineer said they would not touch it again until it had been cleaned.

I was present when they carried out the magnacleanse after fitting the boiler, the fitter ran it for a good 5-6 hours while using a rubber mallet on the radiators, why is it still full of sludge and would a power flush be better?

Sponsored Links
No the Magna Clense is much better than a power flush , but you need to empty it and clean the magnet , that is how it works, clean it every other week till it shows no collection then you have a good clean system then add inhibitor and you will be good for many years

No the Magna Clense is much better than a power flush ,

Really?

I assume the op is referring to a magnaclean filter rather than magna cleanse, which is a process of flushing using a bit of kit that is best connected to a powerflush machine. I have a fealing your engineers version of a magnacleanse was running the system through a standard magnaclean filter using the existing pump and banging the radiators with a mallet. This would work to a certain extent but at a flow of about 8lpm rather than maybe 100lpm by a powerflush machine. (Or even better a powerflush connected to a magnacleanse)

I agree if you keep emtying it eventually you should be fine but it sounds like theres still a lot of carp in the system so i would say get a proper powerflush first. Then the magnaclean is just there for extra protection.

The magnacleanse system is meant to halve your flushing time. If they spent five or six hours on your system, it sounds a if they had a proper go, and it must have been quite mucky.

I prefer to use mine in series with a powerflush machine

Sponsored Links
No the Magna Clense is much better than a power flush ,

Really?

I assume the op is referring to a magnaclean filter rather than magna cleanse, which is a process of flushing using a bit of kit that is best connected to a powerflush machine.

I agree if you keep emtying it eventually you should be fine but it sounds like theres still a lot of carp in the system so i would say get a proper powerflush first. Then the magnaclean is just there for extra protection.

Sorry TTc I was reading this as a Magna Cleanse not a Magna Clean the magna clean is installed as a permanent fixture after the magna clense, I have both the magna clense and a powerflush machine but find the Magna clense far better

Yeh, sorry. just edited my post ian. It should make more sense now :D

I hope! :)

It was the magna cleanse they used when fitting boiler, they only used the central heating pump with it though, he is getting the installer back to flush the system clean again and will keep an eye on the in line filter in future.

Thanks for the replies lads.

Yes it is common to do it that way and as long as you empty and clean your Magna Clean say every two or three weeks for a while after till it stops collecting the contamination then add inhibitor then it will be fine

I do prefer the sds hammer attachmeant you get with it rather than a rubber mallet. Just need to make sure you put a cloth over it first :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back